Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lulablumer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2007, 12:03 PM
    Tail on shrimp
    What is the etiquette for eating tail on shrimp?
    manimuth Posts: 261, Reputation: 60

Apr 10, 2007, 06:04 PM
    Chew with your mouth closed? :)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2007, 06:24 PM
    It would be proper etiquette to use a fork, preferably a small one like you would use for cocktails. Part of the thing with etiquette is not to be touching the food that might have some kind of oil or water on it with your bare hands.
    kellkell Posts: 43, Reputation: 9

Apr 11, 2007, 07:58 PM
    My spouse sauteed up some shrimp with the tail still attached. I used my fingers, picked up the shrimp and as I was taking a bite, I caught his expression. If looks could kill, I would be six feet under. When I asked him what the matter was, as I didn't know that I had created some type of 'faux pas', he mentioned that I should use my fork to spear the shrimp and use my knife to cut at the base of the tail.

Now, I don't know if this is just his own opinion or if this is the proper way to eat shrimp on the tail; but, when I eat it with him (especially if he cooks the meal) then I respect his preference. If I am alone and have cooked it up myself, then anything goes.

Bon appetite!
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2007, 07:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    It would be proper etiquette to use a fork, preferably a small one like you would use for cocktails. Part of the thing with etiquette is not to be touching the food that might have some kind of oil or water on it with your bare hands.
    Unless it's asparagus. It's perfectly acceptable to pick up asparagus spears with the fingers. And artichokes. I have a feeling that shrimp are in fact supposed to be eaten with fork and knife, but I bet you there are special seafood forks that you should be using if you do that.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Apr 14, 2007, 03:44 PM
    I'd say use a fork and knife if you can but it's not always possible. Often peel and eat shrimp is served at buffets and you pretty much have to peel it with your hands, so it's silly to be picky in that situation. And for a chilled shrimp cocktail (with big shrimp) I've noticed that it's often served at buffets with no forks or knives to be found. Then there's the fried shrimp basket - impossible to use a knife and fork in one of those stupid baskets, so dig in with your hands.

Generally, etiquette is not meant to be a set of rules by which to humiliate our guests - they are supposed to be rules to make everyone feel more comfortable. It's more rude for someone to make you feel badly for something so trivial than it is for you to eat a shrimp with your hands.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 14, 2007, 03:48 PM
    Funny this came up. Last week we went to an all you can eat fried shrimp dinner. The waitress came up and asked my hubby if he wanted more, of course he said yes!

I looked at his plate and lo and behold it was bare. I asked him where the tails were and he lightly blushed and said "Well, since it is all you can eat shrimp, I thought I would eat it all!!"

Sorry, just a little comedic relief.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shellfish such as shrimp is it good for you or not [ 1 Answers ]

I heard that eating shrimp or any kind of shell fish is not good for you. Any thoughts on this because I thought eating shrimp would be good for you.

Eating shrimp [ 5 Answers ]

How should you eat shrimp with tails on in public

My yorkie growls at his tail... [ 1 Answers ]

My pet yorkie is 14 months old and he has always fed very well. But for the past few months every time I give him his food he keeps looking behind himself at his tail. He growls and goes for it. This only happens when food is around. He has also stopped eating his food. If I pick up the food with...

Tail back? [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I'm a sophomore now and I have been a receiver since my first year of football which was only last year. I am a pretty good receiver and played some varsity this year. The problem is I'm 5'9 right now and it seems that my height is peaked at 15 years of age. I don't see many reciever's under...

Northern shrimp (pandalus borealis) [ 2 Answers ]

Do northern shrimp visit the Maine Coast to lay eggs?

View more questions Search