Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flickmorg23 Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

May 6, 2015, 11:18 AM
    How do I juggle two jobs?
    I have a job at a new business called Brew Works, which is a restaurant/brewery added right next to a golf course, bowling alley, and other restaurant strip. I just recently got hired as a part-time Waitress, but they don't start training until May 18th, if even, and I don't know my hours yet.

I just had an interview yesterday evening with Liberty Jewelers and they're looking for part-time also. More like 3 days out of the week I'd work so not very much. For both jobs I'll have to adapt to something new and take in a lot of information. I've never been a waitress before and I've never sold jewelry before. The owner at Liberty Jewelers said she'd call back in a few days to figure out my hours with Brew Works.

I called Brew Works about an hour ago and left a message. I'm just wondering, should I tell Brew Works that I'm trying to coordinate hours with another job? Or does that seem negligent and rude? I've never had two jobs before and this is definitely going to be stressful, but I'm up for the challenge. I'm frankly excited to work at these places this summer just to gain experience and expand my knowledge.

Basically I'm just looking for some advice/insight from people who have had similar jobs or people who have worked two or three jobs before and know what to expect.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 6, 2015, 12:24 PM
    The first place you start work at has dibs on picking your hours... then the second place you have to get to work within what's left. Keep in mind Neither has to jump hurdles on your behalf to make it work or the other employer. They are responsible for their own staffing needs and will do whatever it takes to fill those needs... even if it means hiring someone more flexible. Yep, that's life when dealing with more than one master so to speak..

I'm not saying it can't or won't work... just stressing its on you to work within what flexibility they each can offer you. Its easy to forget the individual isn't the center of the universe but they have to adapt to that ever changing universe when things get hectic.

May 6, 2015, 02:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    I'm not saying it can't or won't work... just stressing its on you to work within what flexibility they each can offer you. Its easy to forget the individual isn't the center of the universe but they have to adapt to that ever changing universe when things get hectic.
    I completely understand that I have to respect their hiring needs and hours. I feel most likely since Brew Works is a brand new business, they're not going to be very flexible with me.

Even if it's a restaurant where the pay is inconsistent and the hours are not always the same. Liberty Jewelers will be more of a consistent pay for me. That's why I'm hoping to land the second job for a back-up paycheck, but we'll see. I'll also have a shot with Little Caesars if Liberty Jewelers doesn't work out for whatever reason.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 6, 2015, 02:40 PM
    Don't jump to conclusions... or make assumptions. The place you assume will be least flexible might turn out to be the most flexible and vice versa.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 6, 2015, 04:12 PM
    Most part time jobs will give you a form where you fill out the hours you're available. At least that's how it works in Canada with any sort of retail or service job. Most of those jobs aren't full time, and the companies realize that their staff likely has more than one part time job.

I'd talk to both employers, tell them that you have another job and obviously you can't be at two places at once, so you'd like to make sure that days worked don't overlap. I'd tell them when you're available, which days, which hours, and I'd do that for both places of employment. That way there's never any overlap, and it's not a weekly juggling act for them to figure out when to book you for a shift.

For example. Tell the Brew Works that you're only available Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and then tell the Jewellery store that you're only available Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Just an example, but you get the idea.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 7, 2015, 02:43 AM
    I agree, they will have days they want the part time help, and some places it may change by month and holidays,

So I agree, get one of the jobs first for sure, And get their hours they want you.
    Then when the second place calls, you know when you can work there. Working a full time and part time, or even two or three part time jobs is common. Some places will work for you, waitress jobs are often more flexable, but again, don't assume anything, some bosses are less or more flexible.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 7, 2015, 05:50 AM
    It IS OK to tell each company about the other. Any business hiring part timers has to expect that. Not all of them will be nice about it, however, as they serve their own interests before yours. Changing schedules at the last minute is a constant gripe from many employees, but it isn't against the law.

I would be proactive and work out what you want, because that's what others will be doing. I do think the jewelry store will be more consistent, mostly because they are established, so don't make them wait for your hours at Brew Works. The Brew Works sounds a bit scatterbrained about not being ready. Any new restaurant is likely to be.

May 10, 2015, 09:06 PM
    I would be proactive and work out what you want, because that's what others will be doing. I do think the jewelry store will be more consistent, mostly because they are established, so don't make them wait for your hours at Brew Works. The Brew Works sounds a bit scatterbrained about not being ready. Any new restaurant is likely to be.
    My dilemma right now is that I already have the job at Brew Works, but they can't tell me my schedule yet because they're still finishing paperwork to get the business started. I don't start training until May 26th. So you can see where I'm in a little bit of a pickle here. I called the manager to try and figure out my hours, letting her know I'm trying to coordinate with another job, but she couldn't tell me anything. Other than when I started training and that they open their business to the public June 1st. Liberty Jewelers promised me at least 3 days a week I'd be working there so it's definitely exclusively part-time, but it would balance the work load with having two jobs. I wouldn't be working both jobs every day of the week.

I need to get back to Liberty Jewelers soon though and I'm not really sure what to do. To further open up my opportunities of obtaining two jobs, I have interview tomorrow with Little Caesars so I might have better luck there. I babysat the manager's kids so she knows me well, trusts me, and my sister currently works with her there. I would be replacing my sister's position there. I'm just really stressed out about this whole flexibility aspect and figuring out my hours. It still puts me in a difficult position for my interview tomorrow if they ask whether I'm employed and what my hours will be like. I would like to work somewhere soon and Brew Works is taking their sweet time getting everything started.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

2 jobs which one? [ 14 Answers ]

I've been going around town giving out me résumé and looking for some work for the school holidays. I got two offers one is at a pet store and the other is at a little restaurant. I'm not to sure which one to take. The waitress job is fairly easy I just have to take orders and clean tables and its...

Jobs for a 12 yr old [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone help me find a job that a 12 yr old could do

Is there any jobs for me to do when I am 12 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am 12 and I was looking for a job it is really hard is there a job on the computer what is easy and you can get around $10 because I don't want to go out of the house because of my dad but I would like to have a free job no hard work and it is easy

What jobs can I do [ 1 Answers ]

I am 12 and I would like to know what jobs I would be able to do, to help people out.

What Jobs Right For ME ? [ 5 Answers ]

Hey , I Was Really Look On Some Advice As I Am Now Coming Up To The End Of My School Days And I Still Don't Know What To Do With My Life? All My Friends Have Great Careers Ahead Of Them And I Have Nothing:( .I Really Feel Like I Am Not Clever Enough For Most Jobs And I Know Everyone Says This...

View more questions Search