Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flickmorg23 Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

May 5, 2015, 11:45 PM
    Is my Hawley Retainer making my teeth worse?
    So I just got upper and lower retainers that are made of metal and acrylic so I'm told and they're called Hawley retainers. I've had them for about a month now. I had the Essix retainer for my upper teeth and the permanent retainer for my lower previously. The lower retainer came out before that and I lost it so my teeth shifted a little. The cheaper route to go was getting upper and lower retainers at the dentist vs. orthodontist. My Essix retainer was worn out and they said it wasn't as durable as the other two types of retainers. It was chewed through a little from the back teeth. Anyway. The first few weeks of trying these new retainers was a bit painful and weird. Now I've adjusted to them better, but I feel like my teeth are shrinking because of the plaque build up over night. I feel like plaque is building up more than ever with these retainers vs. my plastic upper one. My permanent lower was a pain to floss, but it was fine. Didn't leave any residue. The metal touches my teeth and when I take them out in the morning, there's a film of plaque on the metal bar and on my teeth. I really don't know if that's normal or not. Is this something that the dentist did wrong? Because my enamel and gums seem to be effected by it ever since I got these retainers. I've also had a history with minor Gingivitis, but it wasn't bad.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 6, 2015, 01:59 AM
    Residue in your mouth has nothing to do with you dentist. How could it be. Gingivitis is caused from not keeping your mouth clean enough and allowing food residue to settle between and around your teeth for too long. You need to be more diligent in your cleaning.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I can't find my retainer and my teeth have shifted. Suggestions? [ 6 Answers ]

So I'm supposed to be wearing my retainer every night and just recently (the week before last) my orthodontist made me this sort of 'final' set of retainers and said he'd see me in a year. I left them off for a while and when I went to put them on tonight they were not in their case. I know I'm not...

Can hawley retainer move teeth [ 1 Answers ]

I had my braces taken off in early 2012. I have a hawley retainer. Somehow, my upper teeth have shifted a little bit. If you look at me, the tooth on the right of the right front tooth has gone behind the right front teeth. My mouth feels fine with the retainer in my mouth. Overtime, will the teeth...

Braces Retainer. Wire behind teeth or clear plastic? [ 1 Answers ]

I got my braces taken off today from the top and bottom teeth. I have to go back in a weeks time to get a clear plastic retainer on both bottom and top teeth as prescribe from my dentist. My friend told me that it is better to ask the dentist to put a thin wire behind my four main teeth which...

Hawley-missuse. Can it move my teeth back to the time I took off the braces? [ 4 Answers ]

I could use some advise before I really start to feel desperate! I had my braces removed back in 2004, and was prescribed to use a hawley retainer. By the time of removal I had also one big gap (2mm) on the left-mid side and a smaller one on the right-mid side, which my ortho' suggegsted that...

View more questions Search