Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JeffG67 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2015, 03:29 PM
    Wave length that is best for plant growth
    Hello. I'm a grade 12 student working on a lab and my teacher doesn't really know how to answer this question. I was wondering why blue light cause plants to grow more than red light when red light, I thought, has the ideal wave length for plant growth? Everything I've read suggest blue light is best for plant growth but my research also seems to point to the wave length of red light (between 625-740 nm) as being best. Thanks!
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2015, 04:40 PM
    Just a thought, if photosynthesis can only occur in the physical light spectrum, and IR is not enough and UV is too much, I would think that blue or violet light, having a higher energy density, would accelerate the photosynthesis process the most.

Photosynthesis is really a process of breaking chemical bonds and moving ions from one element to another. This energy comes from the available light. The higher frequency lights have a higher potential energy.

I cannot promise this is 100% correct or all inclusive, but my theory anyway.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 5, 2015, 07:12 PM
    Plants look green because they reflect green, so green would be a bad idea. A very soft blueish light works best. This type of plant gowth bulb has some blue and some white. Plants do better under high frequency lights, ROYGBIV is the spectrum, eberything to the right of Green is best.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The wave length of the vibrations produced on the surface of the water is 4cm.If the [ 1 Answers ]

The wave length of the vibrations produced on the surface of the water is 4cm.If the wave velocity is 18m/s .Calculate Time and Frequency

Wave length [ 2 Answers ]

a) A string 1.75 cm long under tension is set in vibration so that five antidotes are produced. What is the wavelength of the vibration? b) A cord of mass 200grams and length 2.5m is stretched between two supports 2.2 meters apart and given a tension of 678N. I)How long will it take for a...

Long wave length light therapy: [ 5 Answers ]

Hi to all; Has anyone worked with 800 to 850 nm light? Many thanks for your time. Statictable

View more questions Search