Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Raszagal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2015, 04:40 AM
    Can you identify my dying plant? What do I do with the white fungal growths?
    Hi! I have a half-dying plant that I would like to try to revive and I thought knowing more about it would help that goal.
    I will add pictures and try to describe it. I am not experienced in taking care of plants, but I want to try and learn. I live in Sweden.

Description:
    It branches off in pairs, with the branches in a pair on opposite sides of each other. The next pair is 90 degrees turned around, so that the third pair is directly above the first. Making a cross shape from above. The leaves follow the same pattern.

Every centimeter or so (more often further from the base) there seems to be a tiny initiation of a branch pair growth, making small ridges along the branches. Towards the end these are where the leaf pairs grow out from.
    Check the pictures for a closeup on the leaves.

Along the branches there are bush-like outgrowths from the ridge-pairs. I'll describe them as hairs. (In the picture, some of these are brown, but they are stiff and fall off if I touch them. The live hairs are white.)

The revival seems to have hope. A single flower has shown at the top of one branch. The petals on the flower follow the same pair system as the rest of the plant. Their shape is round ending in a point.

Fungal growths:
    Along the sides of the soil there are white fungal/mucus (I'm no expert in the difference) as show in the picture. Is it harmless? Should I try to remove it?

Pictures: (if the attachments didn't work properly)
    Identifying my flower - Imgur
    Imgur
    Imgur
    Imgur
    Trying to identify this half dead flower. - Imgur
    Attached Images

joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 4, 2015, 04:52 AM
    I'm not a plant, pest, or fungus expert, but have grown plenty of plants.
    To me it looks like:
    A plant that struggled to get through winter without enough sun.
    Potting soil with lightweight inert white foam added, commonly called perlite in the US (but only you can tell us what it feels like to the touch).
    A plant that has over grown it's pot size.

But if that's fungus, I would throw out the entire plant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaves on mint plant dying, what to do? [ 14 Answers ]

My friend recently gave me a potted mint plant, but since I got it, the leaves have been dying. I saw that "rust" fungus is a common issue on mint plants, but mine does not appear to have any rust spots. Here are the Symptoms: * Leaf tips on leaves, especially older leaves turning black....

Dragon plant dying, anything I can do? [ 2 Answers ]

About 3 weeks ago my indoor dragon plant (Dracaena marginata) was knocked off the cabinet it was on - about 2ft from the floor, it lost about 2in topsoil. It seemed to be OK for a while but recently has now been getting dead ends of leaves and curling brown sides of leaves and then there are leaves...

Why is my tomato plant dying, when the rest are healthy? [ 3 Answers ]

I have 6 tomato plants and all but one is healthy. It has some yellow leaves and the whole plant is droopy. The plant has a lot of tomatoes on it. I cant' understand why just this one is dying. I have fed them and watered them. I have planted marigolds around the as well. So what could be...

Tomato plant leaves dying [ 2 Answers ]

I have planted a tomato plant from a small leaf I found inside a tomato. It started growing in a small can, then I moved it to a larger pot. It was growing great, about 2 ft tall, but started falling over so I decided it was time for a larger pot again. Well, I moved it to a 5 gal bucket last...

Identify this plant [ 2 Answers ]

Found this plant outside someone's house in SAline, Michigan and I need to know if it is a bush, tree, or shrub. If you can help me, please e-mail me at EMAIL REMOVED FOR PRIVACY and I will send you the picture. Margaret

View more questions Search