Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    patrickt646 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2015, 11:57 PM
    What do a bunch of dead flies in one area mean
    My friend found a bunch of dead flies by the window in her apt. Window has screen and the are all by a lap
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 1, 2015, 03:46 AM
    Oh for pity's sake! I live in a rural area, and dead flies around windows are a fact of life. They get in as baby flies through tiny openings, grow quickly, and die from lack of food and water. Or just one female adult can produce hundreds of eggs inside who also hatch and die trying to get out.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 1, 2015, 05:56 PM
    To answer the question in your title, they all flew towards the warmest, brightest spot they could see, hoping to get out into the sunshine where there would be food and breeding.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 2, 2015, 07:00 AM
    I apologize for saying 'Oh for pity's sake.' Terrible way to say 'Don't worry.'
    Locrian_44 Posts: 44, Reputation: 14

May 16, 2015, 08:24 PM
    Pardon me, but some education is due about the biology and taxonomy of flies. Flies are holometabolous, which means that they undergo a complete metamorphosis to grow. Most flies start as eggs, which hatch into larva. Growth is in stages, called instars. Some commonly known species of fly larva are in the form known as maggots.

A maggot does not have wings. A larva could essentially be called a "baby fly". A larval instar will expand as it feeds and when it is ready, a larva will shed its skin (molt) and become a bigger larva. A species of fly will usually spend a few instars as larvae. After they complete their pre-determined larval stages, they will molt into the resting pupal stage where they change into the adult.

The adult fly that emerges from the pupa will have wings. This is the fully formed, reproductive adult fly that is also the final stage in a fly's life. There is no further growth.

Technically, "fly" is a common term that applies to an entire order of insects know as Diptera. There are many types of flies - flesh flies, horse flies, flower flies, house flies, and even mosquitoes are flies - with many types of life styles. Some are parasitic, some are predaceous, some are carrion feeders, some are vegetarian, some are terrestrial and some are aquatic.

To be sure you would want to submit your sample to a knowledgeable person, but I suspect that an unusually large amount of a single species of fly, is due to the simultaneous eclosion (emergence) of flesh flies or bottle flies from a dead animal that is stuck somewhere in your house or garden.

Blow Flies and Flesh Flies | Iowa Insect Information Notes

It is true that many insects are phototactic and would be attracted to a window. Phototaxis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ghosts Dead Flies [ 2 Answers ]

I was at a party yesturday and 2 times hours apart dead fies fell from the sky and landed right in front of ome on the table does that mean anything?

Drain Flies from pipe in Sump Pump Area [ 12 Answers ]

We've been in our home for two years now. For the first year, we were fine, but this year, we've had record rainfall and billions of drain flies since late February. We didn't know where they were coming from at first, but now we know where... the pipe where the sump pump is located. This is the...

Drain Flies from pipe in Sump Pump Area [ 1 Answers ]

I know it's a long shot that you'll respond since this post was created so long ago, but can you tell me what you mean by "improperly installed?" We are having the same problem and I'm losing my mind. Thanks! Brad

Obama rating may drop like dead flies [ 11 Answers ]

Obama swatted at a fly during a TV interview. PETA is now upset with him because he should have a critter cage that he could do the humane thing and catch them so they can be released later unharmed. Can you imagine everybody on TV or where ever carrying around critter cages and running around...

Drain Flies from pipe in Sump Pump Area [ 4 Answers ]

We've been in our home for two years now. For the first year, we were fine, but this year, we've had record rainfall and billions of drain flies since late February. We didn't know where they were coming from at first, but now we know where... the pipe where the sump pump is located. See attached...

View more questions Search