Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miles2go Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2015, 03:50 AM
    Withholding visitation
    Does anyone know if the police will assist with retrieving children for a court ordered visitation if the other party refuses to allow children to go? North Carolina area.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2015, 04:53 AM
    I'd contact my lawyer immediately to have the court enforce the order, and every time they refuse to honor the order. They put their own custody of them in jeopardy by disobeying a direct court order.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 29, 2015, 05:07 AM
    Maybe not for a specific incident, but you certainly should get a verification of any violation of a court order, for proof to be submitted to the court. Depends on the cops and where you are. Some will only make an incident report that you can get a copy of.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 29, 2015, 05:45 AM
    It really depends on the local police department. Generally in large depts, they probably won't. But a small town dept may. Of a local precient may decide to do so.

But the surest way is to go back to the court that issued the visitation order and ask them to issue something to enforce the visitation order, probably a contempt citation.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 29, 2015, 06:01 AM
    You can call your local dispatch center and ask.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 29, 2015, 06:35 AM
    In general, no. Police are to enforce the criminal law and comply with specific orders of court (writs) directing them to do certain things. Thus, if the judge were to order them to take the children from one of the parents and deliver them to the other, then they would act. But, on the other hand, they would refuse to interfere in "a civil matter", such as a divorce, if it's just a decree (not ordering the police to do anything) giving one party or the other certain visitation rights.

Apr 29, 2015, 07:01 AM
    One other point to make here. A visitation order generally directs the custodial parent to make the child available at the scheduled times. It does not mean the child has to be physically forced to go with the non custodial parent. So if it is the child refusing to go, there might not be much that can be done.
    Expert

Apr 30, 2015, 06:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    ... So if it is the child refusing to go, there might not be much that can be done.
    True, but that isn't the issue here. OP wrote "... the other party refuses to allow children to go ...".

Apr 30, 2015, 08:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    True, but that isn't the issue here. OP wrote "... the other party refuses to allow children to go ...".
    The OP wrote "IF the other party....". So we don 't know exactly what the situation is.
    miles2go Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2015, 07:03 AM
    We are actually in the middle of a custody battle, where we have joint custody (both physical and legal) but my ex has in the past withheld the children from me during my court ordered time, and is currently stating that this weekend she will not be meeting me or letting me pick up my children. She has also refused to allow me to talk to them on the phone, although I have texted her every night this week asking to talk to them. This happens whenever something happens that she doesn't like. For example, she wanted to switch a weekend with me so she would have them on Memorial Day weekend. My wife and I already made plans to take the children to my aunt's house a couple hours away for the weekend, so I told her no. Now she is calling me selfish (among other things) because I won't give up my plans for her.
    She also signed up our oldest for a traveling sports team, against my wishes, when I specifically requested that our oldest be put into a sports activity closer to both of us so that I could attend her practices and games (she chose instead to put her in a traveling teams that practices an hour away from both of us). Because of her going against my wishes, I have not been able to make it to the majority of her practices or games (the games are 2+ hours away from me). I advised her prior to all of this that if she chose to go against my wishes in signing her up for this distance team, that I would not be forfeiting my weekends so she would not attend when I had her. This is why she is withholding them from me this weekend. She also withheld them from me on the second weekend last month, even though she wasn't even home with them, she was working.

May 1, 2015, 11:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by miles2go View Post
    We are actually in the middle of a custody battle,
    When is your next court hearing? You need to be keeping a log of all of this. Whenever she violates the standing court order, Note it in the log. Attach any proof you have, e-mails, text messages etc. Check local laws on audio recording. Many states have 1 person consent laws where, as long as one party to a phone call is aware of and consents to recording, its legal. Include such recordings. Even if you have to inform your ex that you are recording the conversations, do so. If you have an attorney consult with them about this.

At your next hearing, present the evidence to the judge that she is arbitrarily violating the court ordered visitation. Ask that she be cited for contempt of court and that the court issue an order that can be given to the local police to enforce the visitation.

You can still go to your local precinct with a copy of the visitation order and explain the situation and ask if they will send an officer with you to pick up the children. But they may refuse to get involved.
    Expert

May 1, 2015, 11:31 AM
    Yes, I thought that's what you indicated in your first post, but apparently others didn't read it the same way for some reason.

Sorry, it's a familiar story for any attorney who has practiced even a minimal amount of family law. :(

The problem is that the children can be pressured to mirror the attitudes of the recalcitrant parent. I hope this doesn't happen in OP's case.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 1, 2015, 01:05 PM
    A few links with some interestng reading on them from different perspectives on this very subject.

Enforcing Visitation Rights - Article - POLICE Magazine

Enforcement of Child Custody Agreements

Custodial Interference, Parental Alienation, and Enforcement of Child Custody Orders | Mr Custody Coach

May 2, 2015, 08:30 AM
    Interesting links. But they support (especially the first one) what I suggested you do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can I do when my ex is withholding my visitation with our child? [ 4 Answers ]

A judge has ordered that I have supervised visits with our child due to a DV incident that happened between the mother and I seven years ago. I have never missed a visit with my child and have made requests to see my child at least once a week. I am the petitioner in the custody trial less than a...

W4 and New Withholding Rules [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I live in NJ and start a job in NJ on April 6th. I have been unemployed for the past year. I am trying to calculate how to fill out the W4 so that I come close to breaking even. I'm not sure if the new withholding rules effect how many deductions I should claim to achieve that break...

Violating Visitation and Supervised Visitation [ 5 Answers ]

Good afternoon all, I have read your site and its very informative so I joined I have a two part question and your advice is greatly appreciated. I have a 11mnth old baby boy and I am 30yrs old I left my sons father at the beginning of my pregnancy we dated for 31/2yrs he became abusive wheni told...

Withholding Visitation [ 10 Answers ]

1) If an order specifies that the mother has "residential custody" and the visitation must be work out among the mother and father can the mother withhold the child after visitation has been agreed on? 2) What happens if a court order specifies both parents are granted free access to the child...

View more questions Search