Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amalantony9794 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2015, 10:05 PM
    Can a Christian Latin Catholic Marry a Hindu Girl?
    Hi,
    Im a catholic guy. I met this girl in college and she's Hindu. We both love each other very much. We are planning to get married. She don't want to get converted to christianity, So I do even accept it. But I want the kids to follow the christianity. She's somewhat okay with it but she asks me to leave the kids to decide which religion they want to follow. I don't know, Im not sure about that. I feel my kids should grow in faith and belief. She says you grow him as a christian but allow them to worship other religion also. But if I do would it be a sin by violating the very first commandment of worshipping one God if my children are baptised? I don't know what to do! Please advise.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 27, 2015, 11:27 PM
    As a Catholic, how can the "kids" wait to decide, Catholic children are baptized, they go to church every Sunday, go to confirmation when younger.
    Precious7 Posts: 333, Reputation: 61

Apr 28, 2015, 01:36 PM
    As a Catholic, first of all its very hard to marry someone from outside, A catholic can't even marry same Christian person from other denominations for instance protestants Christians even though they are Christians too. So, marrying Hindu is difficult but still you can marry if SHE accepts Catholic Religion that's the criteria, she has to take baptisms and all others sacraments, attend Sunday premarital class before marriage.

In case if She doesn't accept your religion and you both get married, you or your parents may have to pay some kind of fine (money), I am not sure if its still like that now but it was like that a few years ago. And Its really hard for a Catholic family to let their Children worship other God's (idols) and going to temple, doing rituals. Its Like Sunday they are learning Don't worship other God except the One Abba Father, and next week they are going to temple to give "Anjali" to Shiva, Khrishna or whoever it may be. If you allow them to worship other religion they aren't Christian basically but they can for sure RESPECT any other religion as it is written.

Frankly speaking if you are really serious about following your religion then it would be good for both of you to decide one thing and agrees to be on same page, then its going to work. And speak everything clearly about religion, kids religions, family involvements, etc. before marriage and if everything gives you peace, then go for it.

Don't worry about sin, if you ask God He will forgive, However, I am not sure about the churches' fathers and sisters, you may have to deal with them.
    Best wishes!
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2015, 05:10 PM
    Catholics may marry non Catholics and the non catholic does not have to convert. You do have to agree to raise your children Catholic. You also must attend pre Cana classes together to be married in the church. It would be a good idea to meet together with a priest to discuss it in detail.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2015, 07:28 PM
    " A catholic can't even marry same Christian person from other denominations for instance protestants" WHAT? Where have you been ? In the past years, I have attended a Methodist/Catholic wedding officiated by a Catholic priest and a Methodist minister in a Methodist church-my son. I have also attended a Catholic/Buddist wedding, officiated by a Catholic priest in a Catholic church and a Catholic/Bahai wedding officiated by a Bahai minister and a Catholic priest. Prior to Vatican II you are partially right but I can attest that my mothers sister, Catholic, married a Lutheran in 1938 in the Catholic Church rectory.

Apr 29, 2015, 02:29 PM
    ma0641,
    I already said that I am not sure about how they do it now a days, but in my church (Catholic) it was really a big problem few years ago and lots of hassle to marry with even different denominations. They treat you like You are a non- Christian. Sad but its true I have experienced it in my former Church.
    Palmer Eldritch Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2015, 07:07 PM
    Why would you want to be part of a church that would enforce restrictions on who you can marry. I think you should marry her if you both love each other.
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2015, 07:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmer Eldritch View Post
    Why would you want to be part of a church that would enforce restrictions on who you can marry. I think you should marry her if you both love each other.
    That isn't the point of the question as you are merely reflecting your personal views.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2015, 08:35 AM
    When I was serving with the music team at a Catholic church a few years ago, it was explained to me that a Catholic could indeed marry a non-Catholic, but the church wouldn't recognize the marriage unless it was done by a priest, and until all that happened the Catholic wasn't allowed to receive communion. Whether it's still like that, or whether it's a universal principle within Catholicism, I don't know. But I've known many people for whom it was a major problem, especially being barred from Communion.

Jul 14, 2015, 10:11 AM
    I agree! We also had same thing going on!
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2015, 02:56 PM
    If a particular Catholic church is not cooperating with a couple who want to marry in the church but are willing to comply with the requirements of a Catholic marriage, they should complain to their local bishop because the rules for Catholic marriage are uniform worldwide. In Catholicism, there is very little room for individual priests and parishes to make determinations about things like the requirements for marriage. They can decide to run a fund raiser, or replace the carpet or consolidate their school with another school on a local level, but they can't change the requirements of marriage.

But if a couple wants to marry without participating in pre cana, they do not want to agree to raise their children Catholic, don't want to publish their bans (announcement of the marriage, in the church bulletin) or otherwise proceed through the process of preparing for a Catholic marriage, they really are not being genuine or honest if they then claim the church "won't" marry them. Some people also reveal things in pre cana counseling that make the priest uncomfortable marrying them - things that would invalidate the marriage were either party to later want an annulment. For example, if they realized one party was incompetent to make a decision to marry because they aren't well enough. Or if they found out that the husband wants to practice polygamy. In these cases, it cannot be a Catholic marriage so the priest will not marry the couple.
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2015, 03:20 PM
    Absolutely!! Thanks for the well spoken clarification. As a practicing Catholic for 74 years, I can testify to the changes the made in the Church over the years. As I noted in an earlier post, our oldest son, 1998, was married in a Methodist Church with her pastor, a Methodist minister and our Pastor, a Catholic priest co-validating the marriage. Remember, the people marry each other, no one marries them.. . I promise... We also recently attended the marriage of a Bahai faith woman and a Catholic man, in a hotel, with a Bahai minister and a Catholic Monsignor and a Buddhist woman and Catholic man, in a Catholic Church.
    Unless there is a serious impediment to the marriage, Catholics are free to marry persons on any religion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hindu Nair Guy wants to marry a Christian catholic girl. [ 2 Answers ]

I am a Hindu, Nair boy (23years) from Kerala and I am deeply in love with a Christian, Catholic girl, who is also from Kerala. I do not plan on asking her to change her faith, nor am I going to change mine; and I consider the idea of forcing someone to change faith morally offensive and...

Can a christian girl marry in a hindu way? [ 3 Answers ]

If a christian girl wants to marry her boyfriend (who is converted from hinduism to christianity) but his parents are not aware about the fact that he is converted, and he is afraid to tell them.The parents have agreed on bringen a christian girl into their family now, but their wish is that they...

Catholic girl wants to marry a Hindu boy. [ 1 Answers ]

I am a Catholic girl who wants to marry a Hindu boy. My parents said that they will only agree if he converts to a Catholic. He is afraid to hurt his parents. How do I go about this? Help needed urgently.

Can hindu girl marry a christian catholic boy? [ 6 Answers ]

I am a Hindu girl and I love a Christian catholic boy. I want to marry him but before that I want to know is there something written regarding not to marry non-Christian in bible? Can I marry him?

View more questions Search