Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dharmapaalini Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2015, 08:27 AM
    Why clean hot tub water smells like vinyl
    My hot tub water smells like vinyl plastic when the jets are running. The tub has been emptied and refilled twice and filters are new and clean. Can it be the hot water is leaching chemicals from the tubing? The smell is definitely worse when the jets are on and not too bad when I first open the lid. Also, when the jets are on high it almost looks like a soapy film; not clear bubbles like my last hot tub.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 27, 2015, 09:08 AM
    How long have you had this unit? Leave the lid off for a day and try a small amount of defoamer.

Apr 27, 2015, 10:25 AM
    Have had since December and refilled three times to get rid of the smell and this is third set of new filters (clean filters weekly). Only I use the tub maybe 4 times per week. Water is not cloudy. The plastic smell comes when the jets are on but never blew out the lines when I emptied the tub for cleaning. I notice when I am emptying tub in last few inches of water there is a lot of small, opaque particulate. I think the heat may be causing the tubing to shed. It smells like cheap plastic leaching into the water. Can you think of something else it could be. Using a defoamer won't help the smell and I don't want to start adding chemicals to the water unless it addresses the smell. Thank you.

Apr 27, 2015, 12:23 PM
    You actually must use chrmicals in a hot tub to kill bacteria. Reformer would take care of the slummy stuff you are seeing. If you are seeing specs there is some problem. What brand is this?

Apr 27, 2015, 01:07 PM
    It's Maax 7500. It's supposed to use ultraviolet light instead of chlorine; still add shock (peroxide diluted). The slum stuff is only visible when I drain the tub and it is floating in the last 2 or 3 inches of water in the bottom. I have had another brand tub for 8 years and it never smelled like vinyl using the same cleaning/shocking procedure. When the tub is full the water looks crystal clear and only faintly smells like plastic. The real odor comes when the jets are full on. I just have been through all the chemical and ph balancing with my other tub and found it was a nightmare adding this to balance that... to just add defoamer sounds like it will throw off the other elements and I'm back to square one. If it is coming from the tubing, how do I drain that water out when I empty my tub? Maybe I keep starting with contaminated water. Thank you.

Apr 28, 2015, 11:18 AM
    Is it the Elite with the CleanZone option, if so, which one?

Apr 28, 2015, 01:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Is it the Elite with the CleanZone option, if so, which one?
    Yes, it is the Elite 7500 with the ultraviolet purification option. My last one had an ozonator that worked great without odor. Somehow I think my problem here is related to this ultraviolet system but I don't know how. Thank you for your input. Do you live anywhere near Oklahoma?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water smells like mildew [ 2 Answers ]

We purchased our current home earlier this year. Within the last week, when we run the hot water (in the kitchen, shower, sink, etc), there is a mildew smell. After a the water runs few minutes, the smell goes away from all faucets and shower heads. After about a half hour, the smell comes back....

Hot water smells like wd-40 [ 5 Answers ]

Hot water in bathrooms smell like wd-40, and other faucets it is greasy. Bought new hot water tank 11-1-10. Trouble is that the smell was there before that. In about October my main bathroom had a terrible smell, then went away, but that is when the water starting to smell. Had everything...

Low hot water pressure to tub (only) after replacing hot water tank [ 1 Answers ]

I just replaced my hot water tank and installed a new one. Now, the hot water pressure in the shower/bathtub (only) is weak - all other faucets seem normal, and the cold water in the shower is fine. Water pressure was fine before I replaced the tank, the problems with the old one were that the...

Hot water smells like Sulfur [ 4 Answers ]

What should I do or check my hot water smells like sulfar? Thank you.

Hot water smells like sulphur [ 1 Answers ]

We are on well water on our property; it has been tested and is safe for drinking, etc.; however, it is high in sulphur. Hot water, especially in the bathrooms has a strong sulphur smell and sometimes runs dark gray for a moment or two. The cold water is fine. We had a new annode put in the hot...

View more questions Search