Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ambery Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2015, 04:17 PM
    Everyone keeps scratching or rubbing their nose around me. What do I do?
    Hello, I've read that someone else on this site has a similar problem and no one else could find out what was wrong with her. She was/sounds extremely confident however, I am not the same. I'm not beautiful or whatever, I mean I used to feel confident but, I have lost any hope in myself and hate myself a lot but, I still try and now I've said too much but, anyway I believe that may be the problem but, yes people everyone I know scratches their nose around me and I can't figure out what it is. I've done a ton of research and it's not just me being paranoid but, people literally begin scratching their nose around me when I pay attention to them. And it worries the L out me to where I also am afraid to talk to people. May be that's what I'm doing. I either come up with conclusions to fast or I paying too much attention to people out of positive regard or I say too much or get scared to be around people while in the middle of a conversation and have no reason to so it' bewildering.anyway any ideas?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 26, 2015, 05:55 PM
    People randomly scatch or rub their nose all the time, People with no confidence often think they are the cause for all sorts of things happening, so no, I do not believe you are really causing this.

With that said, if you use some bath soaps, smoke heavy, use certain perfumes you can cause allergic reactions in people. I always rub my nose around people who smoke for example.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 26, 2015, 06:06 PM
    Watch their eyes for a few days and report back here what you notice.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Apr 26, 2015, 06:07 PM
    That you used to be confident, and now you are not, may mean you are looking for reasons as to why you've lost that confidence.

If what you are noticing is that people scratch their nose when you are around, could be so many things. A nervous habit, allergies for instance.

Please try writing down the detail of the next time this happens. Where you were, the time of day, the person (did you know them or are they a stranger), what the conversation was about, and how long it lasted. Pay particular attention to how many times in a day that happens. If it is a few people during a whole work day, then you are most likely reading too much into this.

People you meet, may be just as nervous, or overly cautious, or lacking confidence themselves. You may be picking up on this, and taking it as a fault of your own that is causing it.

One obvious thing to suggest is, be completely free of any perfumes. Shampoo, conditioner, hair spray, perfume, hand cream, soap, etc. etc. Make sure your clothes don't smell like dryer sheets.

And if you are keeping track of detail as I said before, see if this doesn't lessen when you are truly scent free.

I hope you can see more clearly after really paying attention to your surroundings, that it is not your lack of confidence causing this.

Maybe you have lost confidence for other reasons that you haven't said here. And any time a personal problem directly involves a major change, or upset, and distress in your life, it is a good idea to consider counseling.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 27, 2015, 02:36 AM
    What the >>>> I decided to day, (I was bored) and I sat and randomly watched people passing, anyone that passed me within 25 feet or so.

20 percent of them either touched their nose or eyes while I was watching them. So for what it is worth
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 27, 2015, 02:08 PM
    Yes, this sounds like an inner anxiety that you have turned into an outward one.
    Having said that, make sure that your dental checkups are current. We don't always smell our own bad breath.
    (And as others have said, don't wear scents for a while. There are some that I absolutely can't stand.)
    I am familiar with the pervasive anxiety of being uncertain around people, when every little move, twitch, seems to be about ME. It hit me for about a week and then was gone.
    I think it can be a chemical disruption in the brain, personally, especially if it started suddenly.
    I am not a fan of drugs, but see a doctor about a possible anti-depressant or anti-anxiety drug. Some people are helped, go off the drug, and are fine. Others need years of therapy and treatment.
    I would also spend an entire day writing down how many people did and how many didn't rub their noses.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2015, 02:26 PM
    Unless most of them also blurt out "what crawled up in you and died" or "boy do YOU stink", why does it have to be about you? Sometimes peoples noses itch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can rubbing cause pregnancy? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi mam, On 6th of may about 10 pm I just had a rubbing session of penis on gf's vagina, I didn't inserted it, can it cause pregnancy. To be safe I even gave her I pill on 8th of may by 6 PM at @45th hour.

Bump on inside of nose from nose piercing [ 8 Answers ]

I have had my nose pierced for about two months now . It was pierced by the gun. I have heard that is bad. After 3 days I changed my nose pin. Then after one week I changed it again. After one month I had a big red blister outside my nose. I guess a blood blister? After popping it . The blister...

Blister on nose,size of silver dollar, nose res,hot swollen [ 5 Answers ]

Please help us. My husband 53 yrs old. Woke up 3 days ago with a Dark red, very hot to touch, swollen nose with a blister, the size of a silver dollar. It still hasn't broken and also the first day his cheeks were red and hot to touch. We have no insurance and he won't go out of the house. I have...

My tattoo may be rubbing off [ 5 Answers ]

I got a tattoo (my first one too) 3 days ago so its in the early healing stages. Every time I have a shower my tattoo seems to rub off a bit, I can't see any physical difference but I'm worried. Am I doing something wrong?

Too much scratching! [ 1 Answers ]

My cat has a tendency to scratch things, and I don't mind it... when it's on his "condo". I leave my shoes in my closet generally and he seems very fond of scratching my old navy flip flops, and only those shoes. I have many types of flip flops, but he only goes after those ones. Yes they were...

View more questions Search