Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pattywest13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2015, 07:28 PM
    Black sewer flies problem
    How can I get rid of black septic tank flies?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 25, 2015, 09:12 PM
    Where are the flies appearing ? Do you know where are they coming from ? First, you have to find the source of the problem, otherwise they will be coming back.

The flies may be a sign that the septic is not closed and sealed properly, is overflowing, or your ground is saturated with sewer. Check your sewer to see if it needs to be pumped out. Once the sewer is sealed, or pumped out, sewer flies will disappear.

As far as getting rid of them: it is going to be hard to chase flies with insect spray. You can hang fly-paper in the immediate area of infestation. However, unless you prevent sewer from being in the open, flies will be coming back.

Hope that helps

Milo
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 26, 2015, 03:47 AM
    If the septic has overflowed into the lawn, they may not be sewer flies. Many species love the wet, organics rich soil. Nonetheless, fixing the septic has to be the first step, if only to deny them an attraction.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 26, 2015, 07:49 AM
    I have been infected twice.The only way I know to eliminate them is to starve them out. Cover ALL drains, install fly strips, and use bug spray where you see a swarm.
    Drain flies have a life span of approximately one week. The secret is to starve them out before they can multiply. So cover EVERY drain even tub drains so they can not feed.
    Good luck Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain Flies/Sewer Flies [ 24 Answers ]

We moved into this house almost 1 yr ago. At first I didn't notice the flies. We have a shower stall in our bathroom that is in our room. We noticed a leak and stopped using it. Someone mentioned that I should still pour water down the drain, is this true? Our sump pump is in the basement next...

Sewer flies [ 2 Answers ]

I have sewer flies in my crawl. They are getting into my house.I had rotor rooter come and put a camera through my sewer line.They saw no breaks,but still believe they are getting into my crawl through a crack in the line. They want to break up the concrete and replace the sewer line at app...

How long do sewer flies live in a house where the sewer line has been replaced [ 1 Answers ]

I just had the whole sewer line replaced about 5 weeks ago. We had the camera test done and discovered that the whole line was cracked and opened. We noticed drain flies and gnats all over the house. I am still seeing flies and gnats now that the work is completed. My plumber said that it could...

Floor Drain smells like sewer and little black flies [ 10 Answers ]

Recently in the basement of our home I noticed a nasty smell coming from the floor train. To me it smells like sewer. I heard it is Methane gas in the pipes. It is so bad I had to seal it off until I find out what the smells is. When I sealed it off though I noticed the clear wrap that is...

Sewer flies [ 1 Answers ]

I have read some of the postings about how to eliminate or at least control sewer flies. We have a septic tank and before I purchase any of the products available I want to make sure they are safe for septic tanks. Does anyone have any suggestions? If possible I would like to treat them asap...

View more questions Search