Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Deckboss Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2015, 12:32 AM
    Marine scientific winch, armored cable fray, block and CTD
    We deploy a ~200 lb. Seabird CTD with rosette water sampler by a 1/4" Rochester 4-conductor double armored left-hand lay steel cable via hydraulic winch. Our consistent problem is that the outer armor of the cable frays or "bird nests". As if it is being twisted in the opposite direction of the cable-lay. All specs are considered in regards to cable working/breaking strengths and bend diameters. We have spooled the cable under tension and tuned the level-wind for a proper lay on the winch drum. The winch to block to CTD angle in 90 degrees. Could it be the block material or ID?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Check out some similar questions!

What size cable should I use to run a winch on a 4wd [ 4 Answers ]

I am going to fit a 12,000lb 4WD winch to my boat trailer and power it from the car batteries when retrieving the boat which weighs 4,500Lb. The Amp draw for the winch is: Line Pull (lbs./ kg] Line Speed FPM(m/min) Motor (Amps) 0 33.3 ft (10.3m) 85 4000 (1814) 16.8ft (5.1m) 158 6000...

How do I find and install the engin block heater cable or a '03 F-350 6.0L [ 1 Answers ]

How do I find if there is one there? If not how to install one and where to buy one?

Why NOT shorten armored cook top cable? [ 2 Answers ]

The GE cook top 4-foot armored cable is much longer than needed. Why does it say NOT to cut it? I'd rather get it out of the way and also have less wire in the circuit. Thank you, Robert

TV, Sony DVD/VHS recorder, Scientific Atlanta Digital Cable Box Connections? [ 1 Answers ]

Could not find a catetgory for Audio / Visual Equipment... so my question is... for anyone reading this... I have a Toshiba (CRT) TV, a Scientfiic Atlanta cable box, and a new Sony RDR-VXD655 combination DVD/VHS recorder. I would like to simultaneously watch one program and record another......

Armored cable carry two sets of wire for two circuits? [ 27 Answers ]

Strange question. I opened up my fuse panel box to see which fuse was for what circuits as its really old and although it was labeled, it wasn't completely labeled. Fuse 1 and fuse 3 hots, go into the same armored cable it seems. And this isn't the neutral either, as the neutrals go to a bus bar....

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.