Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spencerwhittier Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2015, 08:41 PM
    Why does my dog regurgitates water after drinking
    I have a 17 year old 13 pound bichon. I will first tell you what he is on. He is on 220 milligrams of milk thistle because two liver values are elevated. Predisone for two slipped disks(not a surgical candidate). Proviable dc because of constipation and for the pancreas. Tagamet and regalan twice a day prior to eating. 600mg of aluminum hydroxide phoshorus bunder because of an elevated phosphorus score. Two capsuls a day of azodyl. One squirt of salmon oil a day. He has chronic renal failure and is getting 125mg a day of fluids sub-q that have a b vitamin complex in the fluids.

When he drinks he sometimes within seconds will regurgitate the water.
    He drinks a ton because of the kidneys. He has an elevated bowl because of the slipped disks. I don't want to restrict the water intake because of his kidney issue.
    The water helps to flush out the kidneys and the kidney issue can cause dehydration.

What could be causing the regurgitation? It has become more frequent. It is usually clear, slimey and with just a touch of white.

I meant to type that he gets 125ml of fluids. Not 125mg.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 23, 2015, 08:55 PM
    Only 125 ml of water a day?

Or is that just SQ?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 24, 2015, 06:17 PM
    So you measure out his fluid intake, and he only gets 125ml a day, no more, no less?

Sounds like he's so thirsty that when water is given he drinks it too fast, because of his thirst, and because he drinks it so fast, he's vomiting it up shortly after, because he's drinking it too fast.

What happens when you allow him to have as much water as he wants? Give it a few days because right now he's still thinking "this is all the water I'm getting, and I'm so thirsty, so I'll gulp it up and make myself sick". After a few days of allowing him to have as much water as he wants, he should realize that he doesn't have to gulp up the mediocre amount he's getting, because now it's always available.

Having said that, we're not vets, no one on this site is, and no one online can diagnose. But if it were me, and it were my very old dog, I'd let him have the water he wants. I wouldn't regulate it. He's obviously thirsty.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 24, 2015, 06:55 PM
    Something wrong here. OP said she doesn't want to restrict water because if the kidney issue.

The dog drinks 'a ton of water'. Sounds to me a lot more then 125ml.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2015, 11:39 AM
    "He has chronic renal failure and is getting 125mg a day of fluids sub-q that have a b vitamin complex in the fluids."
    He is getting injections of 125ml of fluid guys ;)

There are a number of reasons a dog could vomit back up water, unfortunately they are too numerous to mention.
    How long have you known about the chronic renal failure? Unfortunately as I'm sure you know it does mean an overall decline in health and the latter stages can happen quite fast. Check with your vet to make sure it's not just part of that process and something that can be remedied.
    Does he vomit when eating or is it just drinking fluids? For now I would suggest using a thickening agent if he does not vomit up food until you can get to a vet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

how to fix a kitchen sink that randomly regurgitates water [ 2 Answers ]

My kitchen sink randomly regurgitates water and small particles of food in both sinks to overflowing. I have tried using a plunger in both sinks. I took the under-the-counter plumbing apart and snaked down 25 feet without an obstruction, cleaning the pipes before re-attaching them. Now what can I...

Why does my dog regurgitate when drinking water? [ 5 Answers ]

My english bulldog is 11 years old. Still acts like a puppy. The last couple of weeks when she drinks water, even if I just give her a tiny bit it seems as soon as it hits her stomach she regurgitates it up along with a very clear gooey liquid. Then she may drink a little more and does it again and...

My dog is drinking lots of water [ 9 Answers ]

My dog is drinking lots of water and urinating a lot and losing weight

Dog stopped drinking water [ 1 Answers ]

Toy poodle 5 yrs. Old has stopped drinking water, it's three week now, I had her to the vet two weeks ago for vomiting and diarrhea which cleared up with meds and prescription id food, she only drank water if I made a soup out of her food, until she got sick she drank water fine. SHe's eating...

View more questions Search