Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shawna Barrett Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2015, 04:43 PM
    Turn Heater Off!
    Is there a way to turn the furnace off BESIDES the obvious option, the control panel? I know I could use the circuit breaker but that's connected to hot water. It seems like a last resort type thing but I'm about to do it considering I'm up here melting and in a constant battle over the heater. I live with my grandma who has dementia. She constantly turns the heat up way to high and its getting unbearable espcially living at the top of the house.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2015, 05:51 PM
    Heater is connected to Hot water heater? Does your system use the HW heater to supply room heat? There must be a shut off valve somewhere. Can you better describe your HW and heating system?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 18, 2015, 06:03 PM
    (Some people mix the words furnace and boiler)
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2015, 07:03 AM
    Presuming this to be a boiler & she is actually turning the thermostat up; there are several options. One would be to get a thermostat which can only be adjusted after entering a password. Another is to put a lockable cover over the stat.
    I have seen people install a second stat in a hidden location while leaving the original in place, yet disconnected, as a decoy or dummy.
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2015, 08:52 AM
    "I have seen people install a second stat in a hidden location while leaving the original in place, yet disconnected, as a decoy or dummy.[/QUOTE]"

Good idea!
    Shawna Barrett Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2015, 03:59 PM
    The hot water heater is a Rinnai Continuum model 2532 and the Furnace is an Amana High Efficiency gas
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2015, 04:34 PM
    The furnace & water heater should not be on the same circuit. Not being an electrician, I can't say for sure but I think each is supposed to be on it's own dedicated circuit.
    The suggestions I presented earlier still apply.
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2015, 04:36 PM
    Not sure how the two are connected. The HW heater draws a lot of current and is most likely not on the Heater circuit. For the heater, just look for a small valve, normally right next to the heater, in line with the gas supply. Turn the gas off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No power - turn water off and turn off gas water heater? [ 2 Answers ]

Power is out due to the snow so no heat in the house. Thinking about going to my brother's house for the weekend. Water heater is Gas. Do I.. 1. leave my sinks dripping? Or 2. turn off main water supply and open all faucets? If 2, do I have to turn off gas water heater and empty...

Blower will not turn off, a/c nor heater will turn on? [ 2 Answers ]

Having an issue with "what I believe" is a YORK furnace in my home built by LANAR - mod# G8C 10020 MUD11A. Problem is that the blower (recently replaced 2 months ago), is now running continuously. Following the blower replacement by a service tech, I believe the unit was operating normally... but...

Heater blowing cold air - turn up water heater? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello - my apartment heater is blowing cold air. I was told by maintenance folks to turn up my water heater (Rheem Model #42V50-65F Gas). It's already turned up almost to max, and I didn't have this problem over the last two winters. My water heater was recently replaced - could this be part of...

Heater won't turn on/if I manually turn it on the air is cool [ 0 Answers ]

Heater won't turn and if I do it manually it blows cool air

Wall heater pilot light lit, but cuts off when I turn heater on [ 6 Answers ]

I have a wall heater, the pilot light was out so I re-lit it a couple days ago and it went on.. about 4 hours later I noticed it was out again... same thing off and on for three days... this time I lit the pilot and turned the heater on it immeditly made a click sond and went out completely... it...

View more questions Search