Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mikjay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2015, 10:04 AM
    Jobs for excons in Suffolk County NY
    I am looking for information on my husband to obtain a job in Suffolk County, NY. He is being released from prison in July after serving 7 years.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 17, 2015, 10:42 AM
    What was his crime and what skills does he have ?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 17, 2015, 05:38 PM
    There really is no such thing as 'jobs for excons' in the sense of programs.
    There might be job counseling locally, which is often through halfway houses. Start with the prison office for information.
    Mostly you just pound the pavement like everyone else.
    Jobs that start very early, like donut bakers at 3 or 4 am, seems to be a job that's available.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2015, 06:27 PM
    Have him get in line like everyone else. Excons are no different than any other job seeker. In fact, his job possibilities may be reduced, depending on the crime. With 7 years, I doubt it was a misdemeanor.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 17, 2015, 07:36 PM
    Check with your local religious group, many Christian groups have or know of non profit programs that help with job training.

And so much will depend, does he have a college degree, a Masters Degree, what job skills did he have prior to going into prison.

What was the crime he went in for, if it was drugs and/or a violent crime jobs will be less.

Does he have friends or family that may have jobs available?

Many end up at low level jobs, construction helpers, car wash, some fast food places and so on.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 17, 2015, 07:38 PM
    You can start here,

Offender Re-Entry - NY DCJS

http://www.criminaljustice.ny.gov/cr...-contacts.xlsx

Find your county from the list and see what resources are available. Every state has such a program to transition ex convicts newly released.

Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where are there jobs for excons in orange county California [ 1 Answers ]

Where can an ex con find a job in Orange County California.

Can excons get government jobs [ 3 Answers ]

Can ex -cons get a government job if they get a pardon

Jobs for excons [ 1 Answers ]

Hey everyone I am in Atlanta GA and trying to help my brother get a job the problem is he is a ex con still on parole. Does anyone have any help for me?

Where to find jobs for excons? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi My ex is an excon , he was in federal prison for almost 10 years, he came out in the summer of 2006. It has been very difficult for him to find a job. He is very smart and a hard worker given the chance. Is there a place in New York City where he can go where they help excons find jobs....

View more questions Search