Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DingoMan2015 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2015, 06:24 AM
    Should I get a Dingo?
    Im getting a dog in a year and I watched dogs 101 and they mentioned Dingos, Even though they are wild they seem very calm and I just think there great pets but should I get one?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Apr 17, 2015, 07:15 AM
    Really? No.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 17, 2015, 07:24 AM
    In some parts of Australia you will need special government permits to keep them as a "pet". Also most authorities recommend always having a male and female together if you do wish to keep them as pets.

Many in Australia view them as a dangerous animal and even wish to destroy them, so it may not be a popular animal to many people.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 17, 2015, 04:01 PM
    It is never a good idea to try and make a wild animal domesticated. They aren't bred as pets for a reason.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2015, 10:33 AM
    It would really depend on your level of experience around dogs and your local councils legislation.
    There can be issues with natural instincts being at a higher level than your average dog breed so unless you are a very experienced dog owner it is not recommended.

Try looking into other breeds with similar traits that you like. Basenjis have that similar shape, are smaller and easier to manage.
    You could also look into something like a rescue Greyhound if you wanted a larger dog.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2015, 03:49 PM
    How about a rabid badger instead?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 22, 2015, 05:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    How about a rabid badger instead?
    Yes, I have to agree with that, smooth ! ROTFLMAO !

Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    It would really depend on your level of experience around dogs and your local councils legislation.
    There can be issues with natural instincts being at a higher level than your average dog breed so unless you are a very experienced dog owner it is not recommended.

Try looking into other breeds with similar traits that you like. Basenjis have that similar shape, are smaller and easier to manage.
    You could also look into something like a rescue Greyhound if you wanted a larger dog.
    Shazzy ! Where the heck have u been!
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 22, 2015, 07:01 PM
    Are Dingoes even available where you live?
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2015, 08:09 PM
    There is actually a dog called the American Dingo or otherwise known as a Carolina dog. The breed is rare and I'm sure the pups wouldn't be cheap.

As for owning a wild animal.. please don't. Tamed dogs (wolves) are not what you are going to expect. They're skiddish and do not like company to ever come over. Just be normal and get yourself a nice dog. You'll be happy.. Donate some money to the wild dog sanctuaries.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The American Dingo/ Carolina dog [ 14 Answers ]

As of tomorrow morning we will be bringing home Rebel a male 6 year old Carolina Dog. (also known as the american dingo) He has an awesome temperament and is everything a person could ask for in a dog. I only wonder one thing... What do they shed like. Its not like hair bothers me. I just want to...

View more questions Search