Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sean999 Posts: 117, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2015, 05:38 AM
    Aikido
    Aikido is a kind of japanese martial art. Aikido is more spiritual training than physical training. I learned aikido for 3 months. Now I want to share my thinking about Aikido. Unlike other martial arts, the main point of Aikido techniques are learning the force and direction. For example, in kungfu and karate, they practice the accruate, force and fast punching and kicking forms. Aikido have no special punching and kicking forms but ATEMI which is support aikido forms. But Aikido also emphasis accruate and fast movements. Aikido never cover the punches and kick from enemey but changing their direction in order to complete techniques. So I think the main point is the changing froce flow of enemy. Am I right? OR if something need to add, please share it. Thank you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 17, 2015, 07:50 AM
    Most study in America is merely the physical moves and has no spiritual aspect to it at all. The idea of spiritual aspect is true in Kung-Fu, Karate and most martial arts where there is both a inner and outward study.

Unlike Karate, it involves more throws and many options of joint locks, (although some of Kung-Fu does contain them also, Kung-Fu is the more complicated style taking years just to master one of the many types.

It does share a common issue with Kung-Fu, in that it is more circular in motion, but differs in that it does not look at kicks or punches.

It was developed from Jujitsu, there are many different styles, and some do use Kata's and forms along with competition, so yes in many ways there are

As far as the energy flow, and the spiritual aspect, all of the martial arts contain it, if you go to a school that teaches it. Because of the marketing of the schools in many parts of the world, the spiritual and/or religious aspect of most martial arts is not taught to most classes, and may not even be known by many teachers.

For others it is keep in practice for a select few of advanced students.

I am glad you have found an activity and a martial art you like. The one you picked takes much longer to become good at, but is well worth it. I hope you will share your journey here.

In your practice, esp after one year, I hope they make the attacks you use realistic, This in all martial arts is one of the factors where real life self defense lacks. When the practice is done at lower speeds and there is no risk of some injury, It is hard to move it to real life, when it happens.
    Sean999 Posts: 117, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2015, 12:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Most study in America is merely the physical moves and has no spiritual aspect to it at all. The idea of spiritual aspect is true in Kung-Fu, Karate and most martial arts where there is both a inner and outward study.

Unlike Karate, it involves more throws and many options of joint locks, (although some of Kung-Fu does contain them also, Kung-Fu is the more complicated style taking years just to master one of the many types.

It does share a common issue with Kung-Fu, in that it is more circular in motion, but differs in that it does not look at kicks or punches.

It was developed from Jujitsu, there are many different styles, and some do use Kata's and forms along with competition, so yes in many ways there are

As far as the energy flow, and the spiritual aspect, all of the martial arts contain it, if you go to a school that teaches it. Because of the marketing of the schools in many parts of the world, the spiritual and/or religious aspect of most martial arts is not taught to most classes, and may not even be known by many teachers.

For others it is keep in practice for a select few of advanced students.

I am glad you have found an activity and a martial art you like. The one you picked takes much longer to become good at, but is well worth it. I hope you will share your journey here.

Great. Thank you. "I am glad you have found an activity and a martial art you like. The one you picked takes much longer to become good at, but is well worth it. I hope you will share your journey here." This is the one that I like most.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 18, 2015, 12:39 AM
    Well I have done mine for almost 50 years now. I have done Karate, Kempo plus some Aikido. I owned one of the largest Martial Arts school in the Atlanta area where we taught Karate, Kung-Fu, Judo and self defense.

I live in China now and am semi-retired.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is aikido fun [ 1 Answers ]

I want to start a martial art and my top to choses are now brazilian jiu jitsu or aikido. Please help me

Pregnancy while training Aikido [ 1 Answers ]

?? Hi there I do Ki Aikido, and train about 5 times a week (total 8 hours per week) - I am planning on starting a family soon but would hate to give up my Aikido while pregnant. I've heard that one can still train, just with added precaution and adapting the training. Could you perhaps...

View more questions Search