Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SydneeB Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2015, 11:54 AM
    Can my soon to be Husband adopt my 3mo old son?
    I live in the state of Indiana.
    Circumstances:
    Engaged mother of a 3month old boy.
    I am 21 years old, fiancé is 20years old.
    Biological father of my son is NOT on the birth certificate. He is currently engaged and has 4 other children. He wants to sever all legal obligations and rights to my son. In turn my fiancé wants to adopt my son. What steps do I take ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 14, 2015, 12:51 PM
    Find an retain a Family Law attorney. I would not consider doing a step parent adoption without one. The fact that the father is willing to sign over his rights is a plus, the fact that he is not on the birth certificate is a minus. The court hearing the adoption petition will require that the father be identified and his permission for the adoption obtained. But because he's not on the birth certificate that will mean he will be required to acknowledge paternity to a DNA test will need to confirm paternity. An attorney can advise you on the best way to handle this.

You will probably have to wait until you are married at least a year to submit the petition.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 14, 2015, 01:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    You will probably have to wait until you are married at least a year to submit the petition.
    Maybe. Maybe not. It varies from state to state. But you will have to be married first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If my son is in prison for a sex offence can his ex girl friends husband adopt my son [ 5 Answers ]

Child with out his permission. He was not married to her but birth records shows my son as the father and he has court ordered visitation. Thanks Worried Grandmother

The father of my son passed away and my new husband wants to adopt my son? [ 1 Answers ]

My son's father passed way almost two years ago. I just remarried and my new husband wants to adopt my son. My new husband has been taking care of my son like his own for a year now and my son just adores him and all ready calls him "Dad". We live in Illinois and just wanted to know where we...

How can my husband adopt my son? [ 5 Answers ]

Ok my husband has been taking care of and providing for my son since he was 2 yrs old. His bio father doesn't call, send child support and has only seen him about 5 or 6 times since our divorce in 2007.My son calls my husband daddy even though he knows he isn't his real dad.He is a real father to...

Can my husband adopt my son? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a & year old son who hasn't seen his father in 4 years. He owes me $19,000 in child support, and his rights have been terminated until he takes me to court to have them re-instated. (that was about 3 years ago) I have recently been married and my husband would like to adopt my son. What...

Can my husband adopt my son [ 2 Answers ]

I live in louisana with my son, my husband, and my daughter. I am looking into my husband adopting my son. His father and I were never married and have a court order for visitations and child support. He has not seen our son in almost two years or paid child support in almost the same time. I got...

View more questions Search