Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jackson1982 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2015, 10:23 AM
    Adoption
    My step-daughter doesn't have a father on her birth certificate. What can I do to adopt her?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2015, 10:44 AM
    Start by hiring a lawyer experienced in adoption law. It's a complicated process and will take a lot of work. They will know everything that's required based on the laws of your state.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 14, 2015, 12:54 PM
    The fact that no father is listed actually makes this harder. The court will require that the father be found and his permission for the adoption obtained. Or, at least, a good faith effort be made to do so. Only after the court is satisfied that the father doesn't object will they approve the adoption. That's why an attorney is absolutely necessary.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 14, 2015, 01:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    ... Only after the court is satisfied that the father doesn't object will they approve the adoption. ...
    Or, the court could over-rule the father's objection. But yes, OP should get an attorney.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adoption laws Ohio father blocking adoption [ 4 Answers ]

I have a now seven year old boy. His father lives in Ohio and has been ordered to pay child support which he has done for the past three years almost consistently. He has no contact with his child and I can count on my hands the number of times he has seen him while we too lived in Ohio. He has had...

Adoption [ 2 Answers ]

I just recently found out that I had a brother born in December of 1992 and would like to find him. I realize that siblings have very little rights to search for adopted siblings but I was wondering if you knew of any loopholes to get to know him. Our father is currently in prison, and actually...

I need to open adoption records on closed adoption [ 13 Answers ]

:confused: I am looking for my son I keep hitting roadblocks today I found out it was a closed adoption I need to know how to get these records opened

Laws for adoption and child support after adoption [ 4 Answers ]

I was wanting to know if any one might know about the laws in Arkansas for adoption. I've tried looking for my answers but I'm not to bright at this. I was wondering that when a child is adopted if child support from the other father stops? And will he still have to pay back child support that he...

Adoption [ 1 Answers ]

I just got married and my daughter's real father lives in other state. He chose not to be in her life. I wanted to know how or can my husband adopt my daughter?

View more questions Search