Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sean999 Posts: 117, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2015, 03:55 AM
    Laptop and plugging
    HI,

If I continue charging power to the laptop although it is fully charged, is it harm or decrease battery's life? After the battery is completely charged, is laptop running with battery or with electricity from plugging? Thank you
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 12, 2015, 05:43 AM
    Unless you regularly use the laptop on battery power, there is nothing to worry about.
    They do degrade over time.

Apr 12, 2015, 05:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Unless you regularly use the laptop on battery power, there is nothing to worry about.
    They do degrade over time.
    Everyday, I use the laptop and if the battery is fully charged, I used to unplugged.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 12, 2015, 06:27 AM
    No matter what you do you will need a new battery every two years or less if you use it everyday.

Apr 12, 2015, 06:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    No matter what you do you will need a new battery every two years or less if you use it everyday.

You. OK. Thank you
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 12, 2015, 08:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post

This statement isnt exactly true. Most of it depends on how diligent you are at maintaining the battery and laptop properly. The one in my company laptop is going on 5 years and still going strong.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 12, 2015, 08:32 AM
    Some of us are less diligent than others Dad, and I plead guilty to that. I also plead guilty to buying cheap batteries for my current laptop ($20 bucks). But I have 4 other devices to maintain too.

A delicate balance of priorities, diligence, and economics. ;D

Apr 12, 2015, 08:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    This statement isnt exactly true. Most of it depends on how diligent you are at maintaining the battery and laptop properly. The one in my company laptop is going on 5 years and still going strong.

Let me know your technique. The main point is that if I continue to charge although the battery is fully charged, can it harm to the capacity of battery?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 13, 2015, 01:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean999 View Post
    Let me know your technique. The main point is that if I continue to charge although the battery is fully charged, can it harm to the capacity of battery?
    Most of that depends on your system. The cheaper ones will continue to charge the battery thereby shortening the life of the battery. Others will only charge the battery after it has been dropped to a certain level.

Also it is a good idea to let the battery run "flat". Meaning to allow it to discharge to a point the laptop is warning you like crazy to plug it in or even shuts down. Also some laptops have a battery charge program so you can "refresh" the battery on occasion. Your biggest enemy to battery life is short cycling and heat.

Apr 13, 2015, 07:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    Most of that depends on your system. The cheaper ones will continue to charge the battery thereby shortening the life of the battery. Others will only charge the battery after it has been dropped to a certain level.

Also it is a good idea to let the battery run "flat". Meaning to allow it to discharge to a point the laptop is warning you like crazy to plug it in or even shuts down. Also some laptops have a battery charge program so you can "refresh" the battery on occasion. Your biggest enemy to battery life is short cycling and heat.

OK. Got it .Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to check vent for plugging [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there: How can I easily chek if my drainage vent is plugged? I just bought a new home and the downstrairs bathroom smells but not everyday. I am going to try the bleach trick tonight but the house is brand new I wonder how I could have hair in the sink.

Keyboard not responding after plugging another one into a laptop [ 1 Answers ]

My Dell laptop keyboard is not responding. I was having trouble using my laptop keyboard so a friend plugged a regular keyboard into it. It worked fine for awhile then stopped responding. My laptop keyboard has stopped responding also. What to do?

Plugging broken waste why [ 3 Answers ]

I have a cast iron y connection in my 4" waste stack. The former owners used the Y to plumb a bathroom but thier work was very substandard. I pulled all their plumbing and ran a new waste line for the bathroom. My problem is their old y connection is completely broken (the pipe that was...

Toilets plugging up [ 3 Answers ]

Hi - I have two toilets on the main level of my home. One is the main bathroom and the other is off the master bedroom. They are about 15 feet away from each other and I believe that they use a common sewer pipe. In the last few weeks they each have plugged up a few times each. It is easily...

Safety when plugging in hardware [ 1 Answers ]

I have read it is wise to turn the computer off before plugging in a mouse or keyboard. Does the same rule apply to plugging a digital camera into a USB port?

View more questions Search