Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mkmiller Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2015, 07:29 AM
    How disable touchpad on Gateway M-6827 Laptop PC
    How do I disable the touchpad? I am running Vista Home Premium.
    There is no Function key to enable/disable the touchpad.
    I disabled the touchpad by going to Control Panel, Mouse, and disabling the touchpad device. But after I restarted the PC, the touchpad was enabled and the touchpad doesn't show up as a device when I use Control Panel.
    In Mouse Properties, the only two items are PS/2 Compatible Mouse and HID-compliant mouse.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2015, 06:49 PM
    It is probably the PS/2 Compatible (Usually same protocol on the older built-in ones). The HID Compliant would be your USB mouse.

You could uninstall the drivers and then delete them and then ignore the error messages and be sure the settings are not set to auto install.

You could simply Disable the device hardware. Right Click "Computer," select "Properties" in the context menu. In the upper left corner choose "Device Manager." Expand "Mice and other Pointing Devices," right click on your device (Probably Synaptics something or other) and choose "Properties," go to "Driver" tab and click "Disable"

Some other things to try first:

Function+F7 is a common mouse disable combination (Sometimes F9)

With many Gateways, you could just tap (or double tap) the upper left corner of the touchpad to disable it.

You may also consider software alternatives such as TouchFreeze or TouchPadPal or Touchpad-Blocker.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Touchpad and keyboard issues on my HP laptop please help [ 1 Answers ]

Good evening I've got a HP vista laptop and I'm having a problem with my touchpad and keyboard can someone please help me try to fix it everything else to turn on light blue lights areas on but it doesn't let me put in my password because the mouse the keypad and the keyboard its not working I...

Keyboard and touchpad not working on laptop [ 9 Answers ]

Last evening my cat walked across my hp laptop keyboard and now I cannot use the keyboard or touchpad. I am currently using the onscreen keyboard and external mose. Anyhelp would be appreciated in fixing this. I am using Windows Vista.

Gateway laptop can't move laptop or messes up? [ 1 Answers ]

I bought my Gateway laptop in September of 2009, since then it has causes me no problems . Recently, I think I may have screen problems. I can't move the laptop or it blacks out, or has this funky grey screen, & as I was messing around with it I realized that if I mess with the screen it will go...

How do I disable the onboard video card on a Gateway GT-5032. [ 12 Answers ]

The onboard video card is starting to fail, I would like to install a GeForce FX 7200GS into the PCI Express slot but he new card is not being seen and I am thinking that I may need disable the onboard card first. Cannot find jumpers on mother board and cannot find anything in bios to disable...

View more questions Search