Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    edmontonaviator Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2015, 05:13 PM
    3 Cold Lines Flow negligible or non-existent. Water Softener, County Lines
    We just bought a home in Arizona. It was vacant for a couple years.
    The water flow for three cold lines is low or negligible as follows:

1. Clothes Washer cold line.
    2. Fridge Ice Supply. Cold Line
    3. Cold for one of two showers on the second floor.

All hot lines and the rest of the cold lines have good pressure and flow including kitchen sink wash sinks, toilets and baths.

QUESTION
    Is there a simple method to diagnose what the problem is for the three problematic lines?

CONSIDERATIONS
    There is a Water Softer (Aqua 2000) unit in the garage. Two tanks plus a Brine tank. The brine tank was two-thirds full with water only.
    There two large diameter copper lines from the house to the tanks one small line. I haven't tried to run the cycle yet. I know I need to purchase salt crystals first.
    Could this have something to do with the three problematic cold lines?

COUNTY LINE
    There are two large diameter lines coming out of the ground in front of the house.
    It confuses me that there are two lines. I'm used to having one.
    One of the lines has a valve on the vertical and one valve is on a horizontal joining line.
    I had to open the valve on the horizontal to get the water flowing to the house.

Perhaps the irrigation system is the reason I have two lines going/coming from the ground?
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 11, 2015, 01:37 PM
    1. Filtration / Water Conditioning system: If you look at your photo, on the left is a by-pass valve. Push it in to by-pass the filters and brine tank. See if water flow improves.

Also, make sure icemaker valve is fully open and not corroded / calcified on the inside. Also, if there is an in-line filter, make sure you replace it.

Clothes washer line has 2 filters you should check: one is inside hose thread where hose attaches to the wall (valve ), and the other is inside the plastic male thread which is part of the washing machine. Clean both filters.

What kind of shower valve is it ? ( second floor shower ) Single handle, two handle ? Since you have good flow in other fixtures, problem may be with that particular valve.

2. Two water lines: It looks to me it the main line "T"s off for sprinkler system. That split could be done above ground but for some reason they "T" off below the ground. Yes, one pipe goes to the house, the other Tee's off for sprinkler system. There is nothing unusual about this installation.

Back to you

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air in my gravity flow water lines? [ 1 Answers ]

I can't get hot water always or pressure, I think my water filters have something to do with it, I've gotten rid of them and I have more cold pressure, I have gravity flow, I clean the pipes out, any other suggestions

Cost to remove/replace galvanized water lines in walls with copper lines. [ 3 Answers ]

The long water lines have been replaced under the house, but not the lines in the wall. What would the cost be for kitchen, 1 full and one 3/4 bath?

Water softener resin clogging water supply lines [ 1 Answers ]

We have a water softener that has a resin filter that has broken numerous times due to surges in water pressure. This time we didn't realize it had broken in time to bypass the softener and avoid getting resin in the lines again. We've already flushed the resin out of the 2 toilets and 2 sinks...

Water Softener Media Clogging Supply Lines [ 1 Answers ]

My Water softener spewed media into my supply lines. All of my cold water faucets are running slowly or not at all. How should I go about unclogging the supply lines?:confused:

Clogged Cold Water Lines [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me. My son disconnected a non-working water softener a couple months ago. Yesterday some gold looking small round balls started coming through the kitchen water line. We disconnected the softener but now all cold water lines are clogged except for the kitchen. How do...

View more questions Search