Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Baby0306 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2015, 10:39 AM
    Working hours
    I work in a retail store and they always messing up my schedule.they put me overnight and the I need to come back the same day to work closing shift.Is it legal?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 10, 2015, 10:47 AM
    Where are you located ?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 10, 2015, 11:20 AM
    On the federal level, an employer can 'mess up your schedule,' changing it at the last minute, and can also make you work more than 8 hours a day, but must pay overtime if you work over 40 hours in one week.

States can have additional laws. Employers may have a policy handbook with more guarantees.

Many people are trying to change the 'messing' part, but are a long way from getting results.

Hopefully as the economy improves, employers won't be able to get away with that because people will quit and go to a better job.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 10, 2015, 12:57 PM
    OP's main problem, as I read it, is (rather than last-minute changes to the schedule) being required to work nights and then in the afternoon of the same day. I'm not aware of any laws against that but, as Curly suggested, that would depend upon OP's location.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Change in working hours [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I work for a company that gave me a contract in September stating 37.5 hours mon to fri and now we have to stay behind xtra 30 minutes on some days and work one Saturday in four with no xtra pay. One colleague has been fired for showing her feelings

Dependents working hours in uk [ 1 Answers ]

We are a family of four ;me, my husband and my two sons under the age of five... if I go for a study visa in uk and my family accompanies me, what are going to be the working conditions and hours for my husband who will be my dependent... kindly reply soon plus if there is some website of uk visa...

Working hours vs lunch hours [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am presently working. I love my job so it's not an issue to me if everyday, I come in to work earlier than I should be and going home later than I should, eversince I was employed in this company. Today, our HR had sent me an email with our CEO copied on reminding me that my lunch hour is...

Working Hours For A Student Dependent [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. My husband is student in UK and I have got Student Dependent UK visa on him. Could you please tell me if I can work full time in UK? {Moved from Forum Help <>}

'Normal' working hours [ 5 Answers ]

What are normal hours to work? Is there such a thing as a 9 to 5 anymore? I'm currently doing a 40 -50 hour week (without counting breaks) and I'll have to say it's killing me. :( Can anyone suggest careers which are a little less labour intensive. I'm not lazy just tired! I'll be a biochem...

View more questions Search