Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    britney1313 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2015, 05:10 PM
    Privacy or Hippa violation?
    My boss (Dentist), tells our patient about my "aches and pains", during the exam. Is it against Hippa to discuss anything related to my health issues with another patient, or is this a privacy issue?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 8, 2015, 05:15 PM
    If your boss is treating you for these aches and pains, then yes it is a HIPAA (not HIPPA) violation. But since he's a dentist, its not clear whether he's actually treating you for them.

If he is not treating you and you have volunteered the information, then its not a violation of anything but your trust. Did you ever say that what you were telling him was in confidence? My suspicion is that he was trying to set his patient at ease, but that doesn't excuse him. Have you told him you don't want him discussing such things without your permission?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 9, 2015, 02:58 AM
    It may be a privacy, but then there is nothing illegal about that, it is just not considerate and not proper for a boss.

If as noted, he is your doctor, and the pains he is talking about has to do with the medical treatment he has given you, then it is a HIPAA violation.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 9, 2015, 05:10 AM
    If you don't like the boss gossiping about your business tell him to stop, but I doubt what he is doing is a HIPAA violation, but it is unwanted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

Privacy Law Violation? HIPPA? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently found out through a certain airline carrier legal department that they released limited information to a government agency about my account without an administrative or criminal subpoena. Mind, I have not committed a crime in any sense, but was subjected to scrutinizing by a former...

HIPPA or Privacy Act violation ? [ 2 Answers ]

My Girlfriend works as a Medical Assistant and she uses her office doctors and interns as her primary care provider. A co worker that works in medical billing and records, has told friends of ours about her medical history and office visits concerning her and her family( son ) These friends...

Is this a Violation of Hippa or my right to privacy [ 10 Answers ]

I am a respected healthcare professional. I visit patients in their homes 40 hours per week and have been doing so for years. I am therefore acquainted with a very large number of people in the community. Recently I went to a clinic to be evaluated for Health Care. I was told that the Dr. (Surgeon)...

View more questions Search