Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chrisbrit29 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2015, 01:15 PM
    Permanent resident wanting to return to UK, can I come back?
    I have been living in the US for over 30 years as a Permanent Resident, have recently got divorced and now have all documents in my maiden name. I may be going back to the UK for a few years or for good and I am wondering what happens if I want to come back here to see my adult children or if I change my mind and want to come back here to live again.. ie what obstacles will I face and what solutions are there.
    Thank you
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Apr 8, 2015, 05:39 PM
    You will lose permanent residency if you don't maintain residence in the U.S. A green card by itself is only valid for re-entry within 1 year of leaving; a Re-entry Permit is valid for entry within the validity of the Re-entry Permit, which is at most 2 years.

If you lose your permanent residency, you can only come back as a nonimmigrant, or your children will have to petition you to immigrate.

One solution is to naturalize. Once you are a U.S. citizen, you can freely leave for however long you want and come back to the U.S. at any time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual status - permanent resident to non-resident [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have been a long time resident of US (11 years) and have returned to my home country India in 2012. In 2014, I am planning to surrender my Green Card in June. 1) For the year 2014, should I file as resident or dual status resident? 2) If I file as dual status resident, would I...

Can a non-resident spouse of a non-resident alien file a joint tax return? [ 4 Answers ]

I am doing the taxes for a nonresident alien (the taxpayer.) The taxpayer's spouse does not work and is also a nonresident alien. The taxpayer works in the US and has a TIN. They are filing out form W7 for the spouse. The spouse does not have a TIN number yet. Can they file joint on a paper...

Non Resident Wife of US permanent resident [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I got married this year and my wife is still in Pakistan. I will not be applying for her Green card until next year when I become US citizen. Would I be able to file my 2011 tax under "married filing jointly" category? She doesn't work and has absolutely no income. What kind of...

View more questions Search