Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    7up Posts: 180, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2015, 11:31 AM
    Brake problems
    I hehave a 99 ford taurus with brake issues,I've replaced the brake booster,master cyclender ,and bleeded the brakes.yet when car is off there is presuure in the brakes but when car is running there is no pressure and the pedal goes to the floor.PLEASE HELP
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2015, 12:19 PM
    Sounds like you have air in the system. Did you bench bleed the master cylinder, prior to installation? Did you bleed the brakes in this order: RR, LF, LR, and RF? Did you tighten the lines going to the master cylinder with a flare or line wrench?

Apr 8, 2015, 02:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    Sounds like you have air in the system. Did you bench bleed the master cylinder, prior to installation? Did you bleed the brakes in this order: RR, LF, LR, and RF? Did you tighten the lines going to the master cylinder with a flare or line wrench?
    Yes I did all of that
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2015, 05:29 PM
    Focus on the ABS system. Check for any ABS codes. Check all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light or multi-meter. Check your Owner's Manual for any ABS-related relays--if you find one, test it. Check connectors to the Hydraulic Control Unit.

Apr 11, 2015, 01:41 PM
    Focus on the ABS system. Check for any ABS codes. Check all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light or multi-meter. Check your Owner's Manual for any ABS-related relays--if you find one, test it. Check connectors to the Hydraulic Control Unit.
    Has no ABS on it and no leaks

Apr 11, 2015, 01:49 PM
    There is a device that the vacuum line from the engine connects to that other lines connects to.it sits over top of master brake cylinder a small black box and supplys vaccuum also to brake booster.
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2015, 02:39 PM
    Try adjusting the rear brake shoes and see if that helps. See if you disturbed the hoses going into the black box, which is likely a manifold.

Apr 11, 2015, 06:18 PM
    Try adjusting the rear brake shoes and see if that helps. See if you disturbed the hoses going into the black box, which is likely a manifold.
    There is a manifold at the rear of the car with brake lines going to it with a spring loaded lever I'm guessing it goes to the ABS system
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Apr 12, 2015, 09:15 AM
    First I need to ask if you bench bled the master before you installed it? If not, that is probably the problem you are having and the master could possibly be bad now. I know you said you did it but that is a big problem if you didn't. Also, TGM is correct in mentioning the bleeding order as that is very important. Be sure you did all of this.

If you did this and there are no leaks anywhere, you may need to have this pressure bled by someone. Years ago when I was a tech, we had a Taurus that wouldn't get a pedal after the calipers had been replaced. The ABS valve must have trapped air in it and no amount of normal bleeding would clear it. Once we got a pressure bleeder on it and went through that, the problem was cleared up.
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2015, 08:05 AM
    Has no ABS on it and no leaks
    ALL Ford Tauruses of that generation had ABS brakes.

Odinn7's idea of using a pressure bleeder is a great idea. The Cal-Van One-Man Brake Bleeder I use does the same thing. It has a one-way check valve in the end of it, which requires a fair amount of pressure on the pedal to bleed the fluid. This will ensure there is no entrapped air anywhere in the system. I've used it for 15 years on my 2000 DOHC Ford Taurus, with ABS brakes, and countless other brake/hydraulic clutch systems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brake problems? [ 2 Answers ]

1992 gmc 1500 long bed with 305 2 wheel drive front disc brakes rear drum. I just got this truck and every time I come to a complete stop then let of my brakes I hear and feel a clunk like the rear brakes are sticking. I have already checked my u-joints and drive line but there tight. I don't even...

Brake light problems [ 1 Answers ]

My brake light switch on a Honda Civic 1988 1500 stays on because it is going into a hole on the brake lever,is something bent or is something missing?

Brake problems [ 1 Answers ]

I have an 89 ford thunderbird that has no brake pressure when running and has pressure when not running.I have bled all of the brakes and still the same,also inside the car I can hear an air leak when I press the brake pedal,could the brake booster be bad. Thanks to anyone that can help

Brake Problems [ 4 Answers ]

I own a 1989 Accura Integra. Yesterday I took my car and had my oil changed and nothing was wrong with the car. Last night the brakes started acting up and today the brake pedal goes to the floor when I try and stop. What could have caused this? :confused:

Brake problems on '85 towncar [ 4 Answers ]

Today my daughter came home from school and said her brake light went on. She said she had to push really hard to get the brakes to work. I checked the brake fluid, thinking it might need filling - but it seemed fine. Then I drove the vehicle - it seems as though the brakes are gone. If you...

View more questions Search