Ask
    spikery Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2015, 02:29 AM
    I think my dog is having throat problems. Help please
    My dog is having problems with her throat, I think:

Retching throughout the day.

Gagging when I try to open her mouth.

Loss of energy.

Loss of appetite; only eating tiny pieces of food I give her then returns to a retching state.

Trouble swallowing.

Gulping from time to time.

What do I do if I can t afford to go to the vet?

Thank in advance
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 7, 2015, 02:45 AM
    Spikery, how old is your dog and do you always hand feed ?

Apr 7, 2015, 02:58 AM
    She's about 7 or 8, in human years.I'm not sure what you mean by "hand feed"... sorry.
    Expert

Apr 7, 2015, 03:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spikery View Post
    She's about 7 or 8, in human years.I'm not sure what you mean by "hand feed"... sorry.
    It probably doesn't mean anything, but hand feeding is just what it means. Do you feed your dog food from your own hand?

7 or 8 in human years doesn't mean much when discussing dogs, so she is just going into adulthood, probably 2 years old, right? Of course she is gagging when you try to open her mouth, you would gag too. You are going to have to afford a vet, my dear, because those symptoms could be anything and it is hard to diagnose over the net. Is she up on all of her vaccinations ?

Apr 7, 2015, 04:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    It probably doesn't mean anything, but hand feeding is just what it means. Do you feed your dog food from your own hand?

7 or 8 in human years doesn't mean much when discussing dogs, so she is just going into adulthood, probably 2 years old, right? Of course she is gagging when you try to open her mouth, you would gag too. You are going to have to afford a vet, my dear, because those symptoms could be anything and it is hard to diagnose over the net. Is she up on all of her vaccinations ?
    I have no idea about dog years - that's why I mentioned human's.
    But she has been alive for 7 or 8 years.

And no I don't hand feed her.

I also just noticed a lump under/on the side her jaw.
    So I did a little more research and saw this article: Veterinary Q & A - Salivary Gland Cyst (Sialocele)

Could that be a possibility of why my dog is acting the way she is? I know that she needs to see a vet, but I'm trying to get assistance in another form right now (as what I'm doing now).

Thank you for your help.
    Expert

Apr 7, 2015, 09:46 AM
    We can't diagnose humans here, so unlikely that will happen with an animals. Improper advice is very damaging and looking for answers on the net does not replace vet care. I don't think any of our knowledgeable pet experts would hazard a guess, and If they did, what would you do, self Medicate your dog?

No, vet visit is best option for your senior pet.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 7, 2015, 08:27 PM
    If you know, she needs to go to the VET, why are you not doing that. Put her in your car and drive her to the vet. (or taxi if you do not drive).

Park of owning a dog is taking care of it and providing it the proper care, which includes seeing the doctor.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 8, 2015, 05:44 PM
    Sadly there's no way to diagnose online, and there's also no way to treat online. Your only option is the vet.

This could be many different things, some not at all serious, other deadly. The only answer is your vet.

Call your vet and ask if they'll consider a payment plan. Many vets will if it's an emergency situation.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog right side jaw is swollen and his throat [ 2 Answers ]

My walker hound suddenly has a swollen jaw and throat/neck area, he hasn't eaten for a couple days and just lays around. What could be wrong with him?

Sore throat problems [ 2 Answers ]

I had strep throat about 2 or 3 weeks ago and it went away. Now all the sudden my throat has been hurting when I swallow or yawn. It has been going on for a week and some days it just goes away or I don't feel it and then it comes back. I don't think I would have strep again because I know I...

Dog inflammation in throat? [ 2 Answers ]

What could be if my dog as a inflammation on his thraot?

I have had problems with my throat since I was little [ 9 Answers ]

I have had problems with my throat and toncels since I was little. The doctors aleays said I had big toncels. I catch a lot of strep throat. But this time I have been sick for like 4 days and I went to the doctor and I tested negative for strep throat. The doctor says my throat was swollen and...

Dog's Throat Infection [ 4 Answers ]

Our Great Pyrenees has been diagnosed with a throat infection from either a small piece of something in her throat or a bacterial infection. She has received 3 antibiotic shots in the last 4 days as well as the oral antibiotics we are giving her 2 times daily. She has not eaten in 2 days, but is...

View more questions Search