Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bradford65 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2015, 02:56 PM
    Paying Restitution to a bankrupt company or one that no longer exists
    If you are ordered to pay restitution of say $100,000 to a company and the company goes bankrupt or out of business or even changes their name due to takeover... are you still required to pay restitution if court ordered. A company has now changed names 5 times because of terrible business and poor customer service but keeps getting away with it due to name changes.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 4, 2015, 07:29 PM
    If it is merely a name change, it is the same business and of course you would owe it.

If they go bankrupt, you will owe it, but may owe it to the bankruptcy court who would pay the money to the debtors.

So yes you will owe it.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 4, 2015, 07:38 PM
    Many times, also, companies will sell your debt to another company. Yes it's legal, and yes you still owe it.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2015, 07:41 PM
    I agree with the others... you owe it to the entity you owe it to, they aren't "getting away" with anything. You owe the debt to them or anyone who acquires their assets... you won't "get away" without paying it.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 4, 2015, 07:45 PM
    A name change doesn't mean that you no longer owe the money to the original company.

Fact is, you owe this money, and you won't get away with not paying back the money you owe.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 5, 2015, 01:40 AM
    Also, since it is restitution, and part of the court sentence, even if, for some reason there was a civil reason not to have to pay, you still do, because of the criminal aspect of this. It is part of the terms of sentence, and/or probation.

Also, since it is restitution, and part of the court sentence, even if, for some reason there was a civil reason not to have to pay, you still do, because of the criminal aspect of this. It is part of the terms of sentence, and/or probation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What if I can no longer pay Restitution in a criminal case [ 19 Answers ]

I went to jail and served my time, so do I go back to jail if I can no longer afford to pay Restitution. This was a white collar criminal crime.

Paying restitution [ 1 Answers ]

Where would I go on the computer to look up how much and where I pay my restitution?

Business school that no longer exists [ 1 Answers ]

I went to Manfield Business School back in the early 90's, and it closed IRS doors, how do I get transcript from that school, where would I begin to look? I am in San Antmio Texas as was this school that closed .

Can I be sued again from an insurance company after paying my restitution [ 4 Answers ]

I was involved in the motorcycle accident in September of 2010, I was ordered to pay restitution so I did, now I received a letter saying that I'm being sued from the insurance company for 10,000 dollars and I need to respond within 30 days. I'm just wondering if they can possibly do that And...

Paying restitution [ 13 Answers ]

I just found out that my ex-husband has received five years probation and must pay 350,000 dollars for restitution for a crime he committed. How does paying restitution work? Especially when he has a menial job and can't even hardly afford to pay me child support? Would I loose my child...

View more questions Search