Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GSQOQG2025 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2015, 12:01 PM
    I have a cast iron skillet... now what?
    For Christmas last year my sister got me a (FANTASTIC! ) cast iron skillet that looks just like this one:http://www.webstaurantstore.com/imag...ith-handle.jpg In the restaurant I work at we only use these skillets to SERVE entrées... we cook off the grill and use the heated skillet as presentation. That seems a shame for home use, because we don't have a dining room table and often just eat off our laps in front of the TV anyway haha.I've used it to cook pork chops on the stove a few times with great results, except for oil splatter just about everywhere. A deeper pan could probably make that easier, but I'll live for now. I love the way the cast iron heats up evenly and sears the meat, and I plan to invest in more cast iron in the future. In the mean time... what do I do with this one? Does anyone have a skillet like this? What kinds of recipes are cast iron-friendly?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Apr 2, 2015, 12:35 PM
    Well, the link actually goes nowhere, so I'm thinking it's for real.

I'd probably be asking the same thing, since it's a shallow cast iron pan that's not good for much more than eggs, in my humble opinion.

Oooh... look! I actually did moderating!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 2, 2015, 01:01 PM
    I can't open the link. However, I love my cast iron skillet and use it frequently on the stovetop and in the oven. A good one can last a lifetime with little care. I actually have one that was my grandmother's and is abou 80 years old.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 2, 2015, 01:11 PM
    Finally opened the link. Looks like a good skillet to cook a steak or chop!
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 2, 2015, 01:39 PM
    It looks like what is being marketed as a fajita skillet. Essentially for a quick stir frying of meat and/or vegetables.

I have a griddle about that size I like to use for frying flat bread.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 2, 2015, 02:06 PM
    I sold all my vintage cast iron (yes, I know it's always popular). It's just to heavy for me at my age, and I don't like cleaning it without soap, and keeping it oiled. Now that Teflon has vastly improved, I use it for everything.

Yours would be good for fritatas, sauteing mushrooms and onions, etc.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Apr 2, 2015, 02:37 PM
    Good for one large pancake. I have one very similar but it has a bunch of indents in it to make about 6 small pancakes.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 2, 2015, 02:38 PM
    Once it's properly seasoned, that griddle will last your grandchildren a lifetime. My grandmother's 10 inch skillet is still in use by my mom. It will be 100 years old in 2017. As far as recipes go, for that griddle you can sear anything, make pancakes, hot sandwiches, sauté peppers and/or onions, stir-fry, etc. etc. etc.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 3, 2015, 01:30 AM
    It really is too shallow to cook anything without splatter. That would be a downside for me too. It is a lovely griddle though and I would be cooking pancakes, flatbreads such as nan (east indian fast bread) and sauteeing.

I hope you seasoned it well and don't use soap on it !
    logicfi Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2015, 02:24 AM
    Other than cooking pancakes or baking bread in the oven, you can use it as toaster after heating it on the stove--to warm up slices of bread.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 15, 2015, 07:44 PM
    Cast iron is great for camping and cooking over the fire. Bacon, steak, pancakes, you name it. The only pan that will do over a fire, is a cast iron pan. I just got a great one at Value Village (a thrift store) for under $5. It's a bit worn, previous owner obviously scrubbed it, which you never ever do with a cast iron pan. Ever! But the nice thing about cast iron, even if it's used and worn, you can revive it. Cooked some oil on the fire, and it's as good as new. To clean, put water in the pan, boil, add some dish soap, use a sponge and rinse, then dry and set aside. Some people don't even do that, just wipe the pan with a paper towel after it's cooled.

Baking with cast iron is amazing. Best food ever!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 16, 2015, 06:13 AM
    Any kind of cooking with a cast iron skillet is awesome. I don't wash mineI just rinse in very hot water and wipe.

Yes, mam, it definitely was the cast iron skillet that won our west, and the good women who knew how to handle one !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there such thing as a Cast Iron sleeve to put into Cast Iron plumbing pipes? [ 8 Answers ]

Is there a Cast Iron sleeve to put inside Cast Iron plumbing pipes to keep them from rusting?

How to undo a cast iron iron plug ? [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to remove a cast iron plug from a cast iron drainage clean out behind the bathroom in an 80-90 year old apartment building to unclog the drainage. The plug is so tightly set that despite heating with a torch and liberal applications of WD-40, use of a big pipe wrench and a lot of elbow...

Cutting through cast iron How is it possible to cut through a cast iron soil pipe [ 6 Answers ]

Cutting through cast iron How is it possible to cut through a cast iron soil pipe

Resurfacing a cast iron skillet [ 8 Answers ]

For the last few months the cast iron cookware skillet has had the food sticking to the bottom,how can I resurface the pan so my food won't stick, cleaned and oiled after every use,but the corned beef hash just adheres to the pan,not browning:(help!!

Cast iron vertical from cast iron horizontal can be pvc? [ 2 Answers ]

A leak developed in the main cast iron vertical stack of pipes leading to the horizontal main drain. Unfortunately, for me, the leak was so close to the ground that I had to break the concrete slab of the house. At that point, it just made sense to dig an extra 4 inches or so and remove the bad...

View more questions Search