Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chweetnams Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2015, 03:32 PM
    Status during Cap Gap
    Hi,

What will be my visa status during Cap Gap and when does my employer has to file for my H1B?

Background: Completed a certificate course and eligible for 12 months OPT.
    OPT starts April 2015 and ends April 2016. Am I eligible for Cap Gap and what will my status during Cap Gap (meaning can I continue working). When does my employer has to file for my H1B?
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Mar 30, 2015, 01:40 AM
    Cap gap is for if your OPT expires or your F1 status expires, while your H1b has already been filed but H1b status has not yet started.

There is a limited number of cap-subject H1b's each fiscal year. The fiscal year starts on October 1, so e.g. if you get one of the H1b's under FY 2016's cap, the earliest you can start is October 1, 2015. H1b can be applied for at most 6 months early, which means if you will start on October 1, the earliest you can apply is April 1. Applications are usually accepted on a first-come first-serve basis; but when the cap is reached in the first few days of April, they do a lottery of the ones received in those days. In the last two years, demand has been so high that there have been lotteries, which basically means the company must file on April 1st or so, and even then it does not guarantee you get a spot.

If your company is ready to file for you for this year on April 1, 2015, then you get an attempt for this year. The preparations take maybe a few weeks, so if they haven't started, it's already too late for this year.

Then for next year, your company needs to file for you on April 1, 2016. I'm assuming that by OPT ending in "April 2016" I am assuming some date in the middle of April. If so, if they file on April 1, then by the fact that they have filed your H1b before your OPT expires, your OPT is automatically extended past its expiration, until either your H1b is denied or rejected, or until September 30. That is what is known as "cap gap". During this time you will still be in F1 status, on OPT.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 Cap-Gap, I797A changing employer before Oct 1 , 2013 [ 0 Answers ]

I am on F-1 OPT status working with company A which expires on 6/28/2013. Company A filed for my H1B and I got I797A approved application in my hand with start date of Oct 1, 2013. My question is: 1) Can I change employer to company B before Oct 1, 2013. If YES and if company B file new H1B...

Cap gap eligibility [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I was out of status in November 2010 for one month and my F1- status was re-instated in May 2011. My OPT start date is 23rd August 2011 and ends on 23rd August 2012. My employer is going to file my H1 in April 2012 and was wondering that if my H1B gets approved before 23rd August 2012, will...

Specifications i.e. spark plug gap,tappet gap hot & cold, air gap [ 1 Answers ]

I need these specs for a briggs & stratton Vanguard 16 hp v-twin ohv engine. Model no 303442.Thank u very much Jan

Run cap and Start cap values for GE 5KCP39KG 5177AS [ 11 Answers ]

Hi there, I am trying to fix an old Goettl gas pack unit. It worked fine till 2 weeks ago. Now it starts normally with colder air for like 4-5 minutes then it sends inside warm air , no cooling . From outside I can see the condenser fan blade starting to rotate for those 4-5 minutes , low RPM...

OPT cap-gap extension for 2008, how about FICA tax? [ 2 Answers ]

My background: I came to us on April/2004, graduated from master program on June/2007, and started working on July/2007 (OPT started). Theoretically, I have to stop working while my OPT expired on Jun/15/2008. This year, new regulation allows students who are the H-1B beneficiary to extend...

View more questions Search