Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rhouse30 Posts: 306, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2015, 02:19 PM
    Equity Loans
    I am trying to understand equity loans better. I would like to give a scenario:

A person get a equity loan at 4.24% for $15,000.00. He uses the whole $15,000.00. He is paying interest only at $83.00 monthly and $65.00 yearly fee. He has to start paying in 10 years on the principle.

At the 10 year period, paying interest at $83.00 monthly, he would have paid $9,960.00.

My question is when he started paying on the principle and interest after 10 years, would the $9,960.00 that was already paid in interest in anyway lessen the amount of the $15,000.00 loan?

If you could explain that for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, any tips will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 27, 2015, 02:41 PM
    There are two types of home equity loans; A regular loan with a defined payment and term or a HELOC (Home Equity Line Od Credit), which is a revolving line of credit more like a charge card. What you are describing sound more like a HELOC. In that case, if you pay interest only, then you are not reducing the principal at all. So, at the end of the term when you must start repaying the loan, the principal is the same as the original line.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 27, 2015, 06:27 PM
    If he is paying interest only, then the full amount will still be due. Interest payment does not take anything away from the principle.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 24, 2015, 06:01 AM
    David, I don't understand you response. Also note this is a 7 month old thread.

An equity loan is a second mortgage when the value of a home is much greater than the balance of the first mortgage. I don't know what government you refer to but the US government isn't in the business of making mortgage or equity loans.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 24, 2015, 10:52 AM
    None one told OP back then that he was getting ripped off anyway - 4.24% of 15,000 is 53/mo.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Banks that converts auto loans to signature-personal loans? [ 3 Answers ]

what banks converts auto loans to signature loan or unsecured loans due to the bank not receiving the car title?

Can I still get government student loans while I have several loans in deferment? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi there! Wasn't sure where to post this. I'm 22, and I have 3 student loans, one of them is with Direct Loan, the US Dept. of Ed, and 2 more with Wells Fargo. All 3 of these loans were past due 100 to 145 days. I recently had them all deferred due to economic hardship (they are NOT in default)....

Home equity loans in bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

Can home equity loans be discharged in Florida bankruptcy cases

Home Equity Loans [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone give me the low-down on Home Equity Loans? I need to fix up my house in order to sell it. I have no cash-on-hand but I do have somewhere between $60 and $70,000 in equity. The biggest kink is that I am unemployed with the worst credit on the planet because I have spent the last 3...

View more questions Search