Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rhouse30 Posts: 306, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2015, 02:07 PM
    What do I need for my PC to be safe.
    I have Microsoft Essentials virus protection. In your opinion, what all do I need to protect my PC from viruses, malware, etc.

Right now, I have a hard time navigating on pages because of many ads popping up.

Any tips on how to stop that and any other tips will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 27, 2015, 05:41 PM
    Get better virus protection for starters. Avast and Malwarebytes have free versions and if you like them and want to support them you can subscribe.

In your browser make sure you have popup blocker turned on.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 27, 2015, 07:20 PM
    Who provides your internet service?

Mar 31, 2015, 01:33 PM
    AT&T provides my Internet Service.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 31, 2015, 01:44 PM
    Most cable providers have a very excellent virus protection and it's free, so surprised you haven't gotten it along with your internet package.
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Apr 1, 2015, 07:20 AM
    A good AV, and locking down your router are a good starting point. Running a Mac or linux box can help because exploits for these platforms are less prevalent in the wild. The biggest thing you can do is remain vigilant, and careful in your actions, any security precaution can be circumvented by the operator either intentionally or through bad habits.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2015, 08:30 AM
    I personally have a problem with Malwarebytes... it literally hosed up a brand new computer I built to the point I couldn't communicate beyond the ethernet port two days after installing it.

I had to do a system restore just to get it working again. But as others mentioned... these days you NEED more than an antivirus program. And the best one you can find. Which is a moving target because best for this year doesn't mean they will be best next year.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Apr 1, 2015, 06:39 PM
    If your using Internet Explorer as your browser (or any browser for that matter) you should check for any toolbars that may have been added without your knowledge. A lot of freeware these days, even some good safe ones, come with added stuff it will install if you don't tell it not to. It works like this. They have several install options with the Express install, usually followed by (recommended), having the extra junk included. I always choose the Custom install so I get to see what they're trying to do to me. I don't blame them. After all its freeware and they try to make a little money on the side by installing other items for a small profit from the makers. Unless you use them uninstall all toolbars and extra crap like special search engines. Firefox has an add on called AdBlock Plus that should put a hamper on those pop ups if you use that browser. The site Filehippo is a safe place to get stuff, but always go the custom install route to be safe.

Oct 19, 2015, 01:12 PM
    AT&T is my provider. I have dsl

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Liposuction,safe or not safe in my country? [ 1 Answers ]

hello everyone, my name is queen, I'm 25yrs old,and I'm a nigerian. I'm considering a lipo and I'm a little apprehensive about it. Its going to be for my arms and tommy. There's a popular beautician in my country(modupe ozolua),she flies in surgeons from America to perform various surgeries. I...

T safe Coil and thrush? T safe problems? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused:I had c t safe coil fitted back in may. I have had thrush since, anyone evr had thise from the tsafe?? Please let me know of any other problems you have had with this device?? :confused:

Is this safe? [ 9 Answers ]

Not sure who to ask this of. Building Inspector in small town does not seem to know anything and he only works a couple days a week. A plumber is the one who fixed and cleaned the situation I need answers too. I get different answers from different plumbers. This week I got fed up with an on...

View more questions Search