Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bmichelle97 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2015, 01:40 PM
    Constant constipation
    Yogurt. Laxatives. Nothing works. I'm constantly constipated and after awhile, it hurts! What can help?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 26, 2015, 02:16 PM
    NOT NEARLY enough information. I'm not going to write a book so that you don't have to. Start with your basic specifics and history, and what your doctor has said. We don't diagnose, but I for one can offer advice based on what I have gone through - IF it applies to you! If laxatives don't work, you had better be seeing a doctor.

Please don't exaggerate either, be exact. If you were 'constantly constipated' and 'nothing works,' chances are you would be in a hospital with an impacted colon. I suspect that you do go some.

Mar 26, 2015, 02:28 PM
    The doctor said to drink plenty of water, which I do. I drink water throughout the day. I take laxatives when my tummy starts to hurt. I eat yogurt yo try to balance the bacteria in my tummy. I also have underactive thyroids. But nothing seems to help me use the bathroom like I should.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 26, 2015, 02:29 PM
    Try Miralax in your water. It is a stool softener, not a laxative. This was recommended by my pediatrician when my son had issues.
    current pert

Mar 26, 2015, 02:41 PM
    OP seems to be hypothyroid? And on DEPO injections? Not being helpful at all. Oh, and possibly pregnant....
    Expert

Mar 26, 2015, 02:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    OP seems to be hypothyroid? And on DEPO injections? Not being helpful at all. Oh, and possibly pregnant....
    What's your point joy? I'm not seeing a connection.

Mar 26, 2015, 02:54 PM
    Yes I'm trying to conceive and I was on depo but only took it once and that was in August. I had my first period a week or two ago. But I don't see how that goes with this specific question
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 26, 2015, 04:51 PM
    One would think you would reveal more of your daily diet for the best suggestions. Water and yogurt isn't saying much.
    current pert

Mar 27, 2015, 04:39 AM
    My point is that constipation often goes with medications, hormone changes, post surgical shock to the intestine, and disruptions of all kinds.

She says that laxatives don't work, so although stool softeners might be a good idea in general, she has a more immediate problem.

(In my case it is a direct result of a nerve or two that when pinched in a certain way that sets off intense pain, motility comes to an instant halt.)
    Expert

Mar 27, 2015, 05:22 AM
    Thanks for clearing that up Joy. I wasn't picking up what you were trying to say.
    Expert

Mar 27, 2015, 06:22 AM
    It would be proper for the OP to inform the doctor that his suggestions are not working, rather than try other things on her own.
    current pert

Mar 27, 2015, 08:21 AM
    True tal, and that was suggested, but there are some 'conditions' that most doctors shrug off with just the usual instructions, and constipation is one of them.
    Saying 'they didn't work' is met with sighs because most of the patients aren't really following instructions.
    This patient is not a good patient, because she won't tell us any details - and she exaggerates.

I know someone who had not one single BM for over 2 months, following abdominal surgery, and after many doctors she finally got one to do an exam that revealed that her bowel had been sewn shut by mistake.
    She was assumed to be lying when she said she hadn't gone at all.

OP hasn't cleared up the real facts about 'constantly constipated' and 'nothing works,' so it's no surprise that doctors' eyes glaze over.
    Expert

Mar 27, 2015, 09:25 AM
    That's exactly why a second opinion is a right of any patient.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2015, 01:55 PM
    @bmichelle97... what is your diet like? Think carefully about how many fruits/vegetables/whole grains you eat on a daily basis. How much processed foods do you eat? What sort of balance... for example, mostly processed, few fiber rich foods. How long have you had the problem? Do your bowel habits fluctuate... sometimes being normal, other times not, or has it been an ongoing problem? Did you doctor suggest laxatives or did you decide to try them on your own? Have you actually been diagnosed with a hypothyroid condition? Are you taking any medication for it? Is it being managed? If not, that could be at least one possible reason for the constipation concerns. Add a not so great diet and you might have a combination of issues that are making things difficult for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have constipation [ 1 Answers ]

My bowels feel like rocks. I have constipation, I get occasional small amounts of thin soft serve stool, I have a pea sized dark lump on my hole, and Its been two days since anything come out.. I'm trying laxatives and Iv'e already been to the ER, they just told me it was some constipation. That...

In order to ensure constant pressure and constant flow rate of compressed air what s [ 3 Answers ]

In order to ensure constant pressure and constant flow rate of compressed air what should we put between the compressor and end user?

Constipation [ 1 Answers ]

Have flaxseed oil & Duculax & still can't go to the bathroom.

Constipation [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I've consitpation problem from the last 5-6 months. Suggest what should I take or eat to prevent from the constipation. Regards, Sanch

Constipation [ 4 Answers ]

Help me I had sever constipation problem for long time what are medications and diet

View more questions Search