Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    COFraggle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2015, 07:54 PM
    Trane XE 78 furnace won't light off
    Our furnace has just started acting up... When it gets a "call for heat," the yellow/orange glow from the igniter comes on, the fan blows, and I THINK I can hear the gas come on. But no ignition (the main gas burner chambers do not light), and a few seconds later, the igniter goes off (after being on for maybe 10 sec total). The fan continues to run, blowing cold air gently through the ducting. The red status light just continually flashes rapidly, indicating "call for heat" according to the sticker on the inside of the panel. I can't tell for certain if the gas ever flows in to the burners. Twice last night I turned the blue gas knob from ON to OFF and back. The next call for heat resulted in ignition and an operating furnace... until the thermostat kicked the furnace off and it wouldn't relight.
    Tonight even the cycling-the-switch trick won't make it work.

Ideas for troubleshooting?

Pete in CO
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2015, 09:18 AM
    Pete,
    Sorry for the delay in replying. Somehow I just plain missed your question.

Do you have a voltmeter & know how to use it? If so, there is some basic troubleshooting we can do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace won't light every morning - Trane TUD120R9V5K0 [ 3 Answers ]

Furnace won't light every morning. I have the Trane mod#TUD120R9V5K0. Power cycling the furnace alone doesn't work. Tapping on the gas supply pipe and then power cycling works sometimes. Wiggling or unplugging/plugging the white 3 wire plug on the gas valve seems to work the rest of the time. ...

My lennox furnace won't light the fan blows the pilot light lights it clicks but won't [ 0 Answers ]

My furnace will not light pilot light lights, it clicks to start but burners will not ignite fan also works

Furnace burners ignite but won't stay lit on my trane xe78 furnace? [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Trane XE78 furnace and the flames come on for about 5-10 seconds and then shut off. They re-ignite about 10 seconds later, then shut off 5-10 seconds after the 2nd ignition. I believe they flame on one more time, shut off and then never re-ignite and the blower just runs and runs with...

My electric pilot light won't light on my trane [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Trane xe80. My electric pilot light is not working, I have powered down and cleaned filter, still not working, the red light blinks non stop? Can anyone help?!

I have a trane xv80 furnace and it won't light [ 0 Answers ]

I have a trane xv80 furnace and the blower is working but the burner won't ignite

View more questions Search