Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 25, 2015, 06:33 PM
    I know two people personally that got their doctor to agree to induce them early because of their discomfort. One was 9 years ago, and she was induced 3 weeks before her due date. Another was more recent, a year ago, she was induced 2 weeks before her due date.

The hospital has no say in it, not in Alberta. The doctor is affiliated with that hospital, and it's his decision whether to induce or not. There is no hospital policy to follow, it's all up to the doctor you choose. The hospital and it's policies have no say in this matter. Not here.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 25, 2015, 06:58 PM
    I know several doctors who will make up a diagnosis, not a dangerous one, oligohydramnios for one, that will allow us to deliver earlier than the 39 week mark.

I don't think bickering is going to help Craven and Mrs. Craven. I don't want to get into a debate over this, I'm speaking from a strictly professional standpoint. While you may know someone who knows someone, this is what I do for a living, this is what I am trained in, my education. If you've ever seen a baby in respiratory distress because it was delivered too early, you would never forget it. I have seen it, and it's not pretty. It's actually very scary.

And that doctor who delivered a woman at 37 weeks just because she was in discomfort is an idiot who should have his medical license revoked permanently.

Just because you know people who were induced before 39 weeks because of discomfort doesn't make it right.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Mar 26, 2015, 12:33 PM
    The ginger never worked. She loves the taste of it, but it never worked. Neither does milk or yogurt. We got a good recipe for a smoothy, can of pineapple half cup yogurt banana and a cup of ice, that helps a little bit, but not a lot. She also has a bit of a dairy intolerance but only after a significant amount. She spends most of the day in a recliner and we have wedge pillows in our bed. Just got back from a ultrasound/midwife appointment. The little bugger is already 9lbs and doing fine. The problem is that the discomfort, though making her miserable, is not severe enough to do anything about beyond using pregnancy safe drugs. We have the zofran but don't really use it. Her morning sickness isn't due to nausea.

Just a bad situation.

Chances are we'll only be induced if we go over 41 weeks again, but that time he might be 10+lbs.
    Pets Expert

Mar 26, 2015, 05:55 PM
    Nine pounds already? Holy cow! That's a big baby.

You said he. So you know it's a boy, or was that a slip of the tongue?

J9, didn't mean to make it a debate. I was merely pointing out that not all doctors agree that you have to wait until 39 weeks. You may not think it's right, I think it depends on the baby and the mother. We can agree to disagree. :)
    Expert

Mar 26, 2015, 07:13 PM
    I'm not going to debate again. In this case it's not okay to agree to disagree. This is what I went to school for 4 years for, and working for 7 years.

It's no different than if I said it was okay to feed dogs nothing but iceberg lettuce and you corrected me. I would have to say that we have to agree to disagree. You know your dogs, I know fetal lung development, please do not challenge my knowledge in this area.

Delivering a baby at 37 weeks simply because a mother is uncomfortable is downright foolish and dangerous.

Craven, I'm sorry this turned into such a fiasco. You are smart enough to take the advice that you feel most comfortable with.

This is will now be my last post on this thread.
    Pets Expert

Mar 26, 2015, 07:57 PM
    Wow! Didn't mean to start this, and I truly apologize Craven. I didn't base my posts on guesses, but facts, sadly they don't agree with J9, which means that on AMHD, I'm wrong.

I will refrain from posting as well. Didn't realize it would turn into this. I truly apologize for posting in this forum. I should know better by now. :(

Good luck and let us know how it all goes.
    Expert

Mar 27, 2015, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CravenMorhead View Post
    The ginger never worked. She loves the taste of it, but it never worked. Neither does milk or yogurt. We got a good recipe for a smoothy, can of pineapple half cup yogurt banana and a cup of ice, that helps a little bit, but not a lot. She also has a bit of a dairy intolerance but only after a significant amount. She spends most of the day in a recliner and we have wedge pillows in our bed. Just got back from a ultrasound/midwife appointment. The little bugger is already 9lbs and doing fine. The problem is that the discomfort, though making her miserable, is not severe enough to do anything about beyond using pregnancy safe drugs. We have the zofran but don't really use it. Her morning sickness isn't due to nausea.

Just a bad situation.

Chances are we'll only be induced if we go over 41 weeks again, but that time he might be 10+lbs.
    Ohhh, pineapple is a bad acid trigger for many. Has she tried the BRAT diet? Bananas, Applesauce, Rice and Toast?

When she does lay down be sure she lays on her left side.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Mar 27, 2015, 08:46 AM
    To finish this up. We know it's a boy. We wanted to know and already have his name picked out. Right now it is Meatball(holiday ham is coming a close second), but it will be a nice welsh name.

J_9, you're completely right in that I am smart enough to take what I want and ignore the rest. When we did our prenatal class, and even talking to doctors, we saw that 37 weeks was the fully baked time. Which means that baby is all developed and just growing. Doing a little more current research and I find that the fully baked point is 39 weeks, which is this Sunday. The midwife group we're with seems doesn't seem to do any induction before 41 weeks. We're going to try to sweep the membranes when we can, but her cervix is closed up tighter then the Alberta budget. This was the issue with our daughter, even at 41 weeks her cervix wasn't ripe at all.

Alty, don't be discouraged, you give great advice. I have learned a lot here and not an insignificant portion of it has come from you.

What we all need to realize is that medical standards between provinces, countries, and states are different. If we look hard enough we will be able to find someone who will be willing to do what we want. I know from experience that there are some doctors who aren't up with current medical theory or practices.

Trying the foot/back massage and we've pulled out the old breast pumps for nipple stimulation. Sex is off the schedule for various reasons. We're just going to need to keep on keeping on. :-)
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2015, 01:45 PM
    Hopefully you won't have to wait too much longer. I've worked with plenty of women who have gone into labor within a few days, after an exam showed little or no change to the cervix, along with plenty who have walked around for a couple of weeks with a cervix that was 3-4 cm dilated and 80% effaced. Often there just is no way of telling when things will really get going.

Wishing you a smooth journey once things do get started!
    Pets Expert

Mar 27, 2015, 03:30 PM
    Meatball Morehead. I like it!
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Mar 27, 2015, 09:57 PM
    FWIW--sweeping my membranes hurt like hell, but started labor within 15 hours. I actually think (because this is how the brain works regarding pregnancy and labor) that I remember the pain of the membrane sweep more than the pain of labor.

I BEGGED my doctors to induce me at 39 weeks. No go. They wouldn't even consider it until after 41 weeks unless there was distress involved. Sweeping my membranes was the most they'd do. And they kept telling me the baby was at LEAST 10 pounds (he turned out to be only 8 lbs 5 oz, so those scans aren't always right.)

Anyway, hope that Meatball decides to come out and play soon. My thoughts and prayers to you all for a safe delivery.

Llewellyn is a great name *grin*

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the best home remedies for getting lighter skin? [ 1 Answers ]

Home remedy will help you in getting you fair skin...

Home remedies for acne? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, Can anybody suggest any home treatments for acne? I have been acne-infested since March 2012 and despite all the dermatologic prescriptions and advice nothing is improving. :( Any tried-and-true methods would be really appreciated. Thanks much.

What are the remedies for migrane that can be done from home itself ? [ 4 Answers ]

I am suffering from migraine since last few weeks. I have no clue about the reason behind it. What I know is nothing but it comes for an hour or more and then I will back to my normal life. However, this repeats now a day. Can anyone help me with some home remedies I can rely with..

Home remedies for Diahhrea [ 9 Answers ]

I need some home remedies for this that'll work in under twelve hours. I can't miss school tomorrow but I'm having some bowel issues.

View more questions Search