Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fsaburke Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2015, 09:11 AM
    old employer and his 401k
    My husband lost contact with his old employer and his 401k. Its been like 20 years. How can he find it and claim it? He is forgetful on dates of empolyment and all the names of the companies he worked for.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 24, 2015, 09:17 AM
    The only companies whose names he must remember are those that had 401(k) plans that he contributed to, or pension plans that may have benefits for his retirement. Seems to me if he can't remember the names of companies he worked for he probably did not work for them long enough to enroll in 401(k) plans through them. About all I can suggest is try the links I referenced back in post #2 of this thread.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 24, 2015, 09:46 PM
    I will have to agree, he can look at old tax records, if he keeps them.
    Also, if he had any, they should have been mailing him annual statements, unless he moved without forwarding, and then correcting address when mail received.

So, he will need to try and remember, AS noted, if he did not work for them very long, most likely there is not much money in the plan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Closing out my 401k from a former employer [ 7 Answers ]

Last year my employer laid me off I still have a 401k plan with them.. It is managed through Merrill Lynch. I want to know what the reason would be for them to deny me closing the account and withdrawing all the money.I know about the fees and penalties. I have asked them twice to do this and they...

My new employer has no 401k plan [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I hope this question is relevant for this forum. I got laid off from my employer in Aug, where we had a 401k plan, in which I have put in less than the annual IRS limit of $14k. Let's say I only put in $9k. My new employer does not have a 401k yet. So is there anyway I can still put...

Ex-employer will not allow 401K withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I quit my job Jan 2008 and my ex-employer says I have to wait one year before I can access my money. Something about a valuation period. Can this be correct? Can I roll it over to a IRA before the year is up? Thanks, Frank

Employer 401K Matching Error [ 1 Answers ]

My wife recently resigned her position at a local bank. She has processed a 401K roll over request to her past employer. The bank VP presented her with a letter stating the bank had over-matched her 401K contributions in error for a period of 4 plus years in the total amount of 4,241.23. The bank...

401K Contributions by employer [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. My employer (brother) is not contributing my 401k deductions from my check to my 401k plan. I had talked to his accountant, his 401k administrator at work, the 401k Provider (Principal, Horrible customer service on their part), everybody is giving me the run around. Who legally should I...

View more questions Search