Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amberspapa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2015, 08:43 PM
    Washer
    I just need to no if its possible for an aav on a washer cause water to back up out of drain tube?it drains slowly also.ran snake through the line and found no clog
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 24, 2015, 04:15 AM
    Hi amber

If the AAV was defective and didn't open it could certainly affect how water goes down the drain. The AAV should just spin out and can usually be easily replaced so I'd suggest changing it if possible.

With that being said, I'd also snake the drain again... if really old metal pipes it may even be time to remove the washer drain pipe and replace with new PVC.

Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 24, 2015, 12:45 PM
    Try removing theAAV and cycle the washer. If it drais then replace theAAV. Good luck, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 26, 2015, 01:30 AM
    Usually, the overflow occurs if there is undersized drain pipe or clogged drain pipe. Washer drain should be 2" in diameter. See if you can snake it it with 3/8" cable inserted entire length of the cable, usually not less than 30'

AAV could cause slow drainage if defective. Do as Tom said: remove AAV and see if the drainage improves

Hope that helps

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to add washer drain in my kitchen for a stackable washer & dryer [ 0 Answers ]

Yellow lines repersent drain pipe,circles represents air vents leading to the roof and green lines represent my suggested drains. One of my options is to add a T-shape coupling where the 90 is form at the bath sink and extend the plumbing an extra 2 feet and form a 90 to lead into the kitchen...

Kenmore stackable washer/dryer broken. Washer doesn't work [ 0 Answers ]

When starting a wash load on my stackable kenmore washer/dryer it starts to fill with water and it clicks. The lights in my house were dimming off and on and the washer sounds like a car trying to start.

Kenmore washer dryer combo, washer agitates for about 10 seconds then it stops. [ 1 Answers ]

The washer will fill and it will agitate for about 10 seconds, then it will stop.When it stops there is no motor sound.Then after about one minute it will start by itself and repeat the same thing over and over no matter what I set the knob to it does the same thing. Could it be the timer?

Kenmore stack washer/dryer - washer makes noise during wash [ 2 Answers ]

My son has a Kenmore stack washer/dryer that makes a noise that sounds something like a gear when washing only. Could this be a transmission problem? Jay

Drain pipe for washer backing up once washer starts to empty what could be causing [ 4 Answers ]

What couild be causing the drain pipe fro washer to back up and spill all over floor behind washer

View more questions Search