Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sean999 Posts: 117, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2015, 03:00 AM
    Foreign language and communication
    Today is the globalization age. For communicating with foreigners, how many necessary languages do we need to learn? Some says that english is enough. Some says that we need english and chinese. How about japanese and korean?

Let me know your ideas.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 22, 2015, 07:54 AM
    It is globally understood that english is the language spoken to communicate. Not Chinese. Japanese or Korean.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 22, 2015, 02:09 PM
    English, yes, but you may need more within your selling area too, if you will be dealing with customers in person, and they expect you to have a few polite greetings and phrases in their language.

I'd say it depends on where you live and what your customer base will be.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 22, 2015, 02:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    English, yes, but you may need more within your selling area too, if you will be dealing with customers in person, and they expect you to have a few polite greetings and phrases in their language.

I'd say it depends on where you live and what your customer base will be.
    My son sells globally so, yes, his preferred language is english, but he speaks french. German. Dutch and itilian. His clients prefer english and that is the universal business language. When I travel I expect english and get it !
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2015, 02:46 PM
    Also something nobody pointed out, when Chinese was mentioned... there is no single Chinese language, the two major ones are Mandarin and Cantonese, and they are significantly different from each other. Also Chinese like Japanese and Korean, each use unique characters used in no other language.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 23, 2015, 01:32 AM
    And there is about 3500 written Chinese characters, and I will be blunt, the translation and communication is difficult. A person in southern rural China may not always understand fully the Chinese from the north.

But for business and computer, English has been accepted as the International Language. Almost every Chinese learn written English in middle and high school, and the majority of university students learn spoken English.
    ** which is what I do here in China

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Understanding foreign language [ 7 Answers ]

For the last few years now I've discovered I have somewhat of a random ability I suppose is the best I can describe it as. Now this ability happens when I'm out either in shopping centre or train station/street bus etc. It always happens when my mind isn't concentrating on anything and sort of...

Foreign language speaches [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am working in pharmaceutical nustry as middle level. I have to address the clients from US, UK, switzeraland etc. I have a problemm in understanding their language in phone and in person. I want to improve. I request you to suggest some online education sites to help in this issue preferably...

Best Program For Learning a Foreign Language [ 2 Answers ]

I know the basics of Spanish, but would like to learn to speak it more proficiently. I feel that improved Spanish will help me to advance in my career. I have a fairly long commute - 1 hour each way on the train - and thought that would be a good use of my time to study on the train. Can...

Foreign language course [ 1 Answers ]

Dear sir/ madam .I like to study GERMAN LANGUAGE in distance education,tell me if there is any institute offering FREE,or else by paying.Please tell me by providing details regarding this.

View more questions Search