Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DesertSniper84 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2015, 11:11 PM
    Bad odors from outside coming through ac when on or off
    I recently had my ac cleaned after noticing a variety of bad odors coming from it for a few months. The odors were present when the fan was on (vent closed) and also were seeping through the front fins when the unit was off (vent closed). It was disgusting and nauseating and got worse over the course of three months. Ive tried air fresheners which only mask the smell and a quality air purifier which didn't do anything. Vinegar and baking soda together have worked to combat these smells but with time. For now, Ive covered it with a plastic bag and put vinegar and baking soda in the room. The smells appear throughout the day anywhere from late morning to 7pm, to midnite to the middle of the night, waking me up. I live in a very hot, desert climate. One possibility might be mold but the fact one of the odors was fast food has me thinking its just very poor outside air so I'm asking the community: 1. Are these odors likely from the outside air only? 2. Are there any window acs that do NOT use outside air to dehumidify? Thank you for your time and any input.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 22, 2015, 05:08 AM
    What did the cleaning consist of? Most window ACs get mold. The condensation sits in the tray, and the tray has a tiny lip of height, and if the tray isn't tipped downward slightly, it gets moldy very fast. Even if it is tipped, dead insects and dirt can hang onto water or clog the small opening on the edges of the tray.
    Another possibility is a small dead animal deep in the workings, which it might be if the smell is really disgusting.
    As for food - who knows? Any children near it?

DesertSniper84 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2015, 12:18 AM
    Thanks for your reply. They cleaned it with detergent warm water and bleach. I cleaned it too myself back in December. Yet the smell remained. When they took the ac out to clean there was just a lot of dirt/sand in the tray, very little if any water. After unsealing my windows last night, I did smell the odor through there too and convinced its just the outside air, not anything dead or mold. I might just live in that foul of a neighborhood.

Thanks for your reply. They cleaned it with detergent warm water and bleach. I cleaned it too myself back in December. Yet the smell remained. When they took the ac out to clean there was just a lot of dirt/sand in the tray, very little if any water. After unsealing my windows last night, I did smell the odor through there too and convinced its just the outside air, not anything dead or mold. I might just live in that foul of a neighborhood. No children are near the air conditioner.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to clean up bad septic overflow odors [ 3 Answers ]

The previous owners of our house explain that the drain to the septic tank had been crushed. Consequently the lower level toilets overflowed a number of times flooding the linoleum covered concrete floor. I do not know the extent of the flooding but the mop boards are missing in a number of...

How bad is it coming off suboxone [ 15 Answers ]

After being on suboxone for months at 2-3 mg a day how bad will it be coming off it , if you wean down over few weeks slowly ?

How bad is it coming off suboxone [ 1 Answers ]

How long does it take to get off suboxone?

Bad odor coming from the basement [ 1 Answers ]

I have this house built back in 1957 or so and getting this bad odor coming from our basement. Can not tell if it a dead animal, a sewage gas smell, or something burning. I first thought that it was the sewage smell. The sewage trap drain locate in the middle of the floor, so I started flushing...

Bad Smell coming from furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, since the winter season has begun I have always smelled something like someone burning wood or a fireplace burning smell. Just this week I have started smelling that coming from my registers when the heat kicks on in my house. My furnace is 3 years old. Thanks for your help in advance... Meda

View more questions Search