Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hanno9660 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 10:39 PM
    3 black labs tear up backyard
    Well I have a small chicago backyard--i have 3 black labs that play--they are puppies--they have distroyed the backyard--as it is all mud--they are 9 months old now--still terrible--but should I seed--they like to dig holes in the back also--should I just put gravel out? This might cause problems when cleaning up after them--poo--poo--but I have heard that many people have this problem with big dogs--i can't always walk them so I let them in the back yard--any suggestions--or do I just live with mudd in my back yard??
    KaCe Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 10:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hanno9660
    well i have a small chicago backyard--i have 3 black labs that play--they are puppies--they have distroyed the backyard--as it is all mud--they are 9 months old now--still terrible--but should i seed--they like to dig holes in the back also--should i just put gravel out?? this might cause problems when cleaning up after them--poo--poo--but i have heard that many people have this problem with big dogs--i can't always walk them so i let them in the back yard--any suggestions--or do i just live with mudd in my back yard???
    You may consider taking your dogs to obedience or agility classes. This will help them to not dig and channel their energy in a positive way. Developing a challenge for them will help them to occupy their minds with behaviors you want to encourage. There are a lot of books on topics like this. I suppose three dogs is something you considered before acquiring them, but if your yard is small it may be the situation is dictating the behavior. Probably something that is more instant like sod would answer the mud thing. Then working with them on not digging or limiting their use of your yard could help preserve the yard.

Training dogs to use just part of your yard takes time, but I would think worth the effort if you want a yard. I am getting a dog related piece of equipment for my new dog (I just have one). He poops a lot and he's only 25#. So three labs ought to poop more than 3 times my fella. So you may like to know about this product... doggie doodle. It is a septic tank for dog poo. You scoop it up, dump it in with chemicals and water and the smell and poo biodegrade. If nothing else that could help you walk in less of a mine field.

Good luck.

KaCe
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2007, 04:22 AM
    If you are leaving 3 young Labs in a small yard very much, it will be tough maintaining grass. Even such aggressive turfs as tall fescue may not survive although you could try it. Even gravel won't last too long. It will be slowly packed down into the mud. Clean up won't be a problem with pea gravel although some of the gravel will come too.

I am a strong believer in obedience training, but it isn't going to solve the digging and mud problems. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position
    cruzen7 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2007, 02:31 PM
    Why do you have dogs if you can't walk them?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toys for Labs [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, I will first start by saying this is a great site for information. I need some suggestions for toys for my 6 month old lab. We have a rope toy and a plush sqeaky toy and a Nylabone. We have gone to Petcetera (we live in Canada) and only see really $$$ stuffed animals. We have Kongs but we...

Swamping area in backyard [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have owned my house for 2 years now. We bouight it in winter so when spring came and all the water we notice major swamping in the middle of our backyard and it is a big section of it. It is so bad that I can't let the kids play back there. Any tips on how to fix this that won't be so costly....

Children helping with dogs (labs) [ 7 Answers ]

As I mentioned in my last post, my little nephew and niece, age 4 and 6, are coming home to live with my husband and I very shortly, and bringing their dog and guinea pigs to add to our household of one dog and one cat. I would like the children to participate in taking care of the animals,...

Real estate disclosure laws regarding meth labs [ 2 Answers ]

I had just purchased a home in may. I had just now gotten the sellers disclosure papers this month. On the disclosure papers she had lied about some things. To be more specific. The very first day we moved in our sewer system backed up when I ran the dishwasher. This information was not disclosed...

Lint is flying out of our vent into the backyard [ 3 Answers ]

New home, 5 year old dryer... We have lint coming out of the vent connected to the dryer, and it is making a mess on our patio. Please let me know what I can do.

View more questions Search