Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrifenbu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2015, 09:04 AM
    Rotten egg smell
    We have a condo in SC that we use several months a year when we are no in NY. When we get there when you turn on he faucet and showers the water smells like rotten eggs. We let the water run and then it goes away. When we are not in SC we turn off the water.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 21, 2015, 10:09 AM
    Uncirculated water that has sat for a while will have a smell, and likely discoloration, until its run awhile. Not unusual as well as drain traps losing their water seal from evaporation, and allowing sewer odors to be let back into the living spaces.

Its all good if you can clean things out after running the water for a while and it eliminates the odors and discoloration. I would still do some checking maintenance on my systems though regularly after being gone a while.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 21, 2015, 10:18 AM
    What you have is a accumulation of sulfur dioxide built up in the standing water of your pipes. By running the water you have flushed out the line. This is harmless and should be no cause for concern. Good luck, Tom
    Mike45plus Posts: 230, Reputation: 27

Mar 22, 2015, 05:39 AM
    Mrifenbu,
    Electric water heaters, that sit idle for several months, can produce a rotten egg odor; it may help to turn the power off to the water heater when it is not in use for extended periods...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rotten egg smell [ 11 Answers ]

We have a smell of rotten eggs inside the backdoor of house. Yesterday the smell also started coming up from downstairs kitchen sink and then upstairs bathroom sink. We tried pouring some caustic soda down the drain outside kitchen window and the smell seems to have stopped from the sinks. It...

Rotten egg smell [ 3 Answers ]

I live in an highrise apartment unit. I have a terrible sewer smell in my bathroom. After letting the water run for a while I think it is coming from the bathtub drain. The drains is not clogged up and the water is running out very well. I have tried the bleach - hot water thing, taking a bented...

Rotten egg smell [ 4 Answers ]

When I turn the air conditioner on after being off for a day or so I notice a rotten egg smell for the first few minutes the air is on. What is causing this smell?

Rotten egg smell [ 3 Answers ]

I have well water with a rotten egg smell, from what I am told it could be the anode rod in the hot water heater. I don't have a hot water heater, we have a hot water boiler that is used to heat the house and the potable water, also is the water dangerous due to the smell.

Rotten Egg Smell [ 1 Answers ]

I lived in a brand new home, on city water for one year and everything was fine. We moved out and the house is now empty and up for sale. It has been empty for five months. Sometime during these five months a rotten egg smell has developed when the water is turned on. At first we thought it was...

View more questions Search