Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MixtecChic15 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2015, 02:55 PM
    Re: Criminal Justice/Psych.
    - There are 2.3 million prisoners in the U.S.
    - Recidivism rate is 80% for Mexicans.
    - On average 590,400 released each year.
    - Approx. 2 out of 3 people re-arrested within 3 years.

QUES.
    If a prisoner was released and hasn't been re-arrested in 15 years. What odds has he/she beaten?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 20, 2015, 03:15 PM
    What do you think the answer is? We are happy to help you do your homework, but site rules prevent us from giving you the answer.

Mar 20, 2015, 03:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    What do you think the answer is? We are happy to help you do your homework, but site rules prevent us from giving you the answer.
    It's not homework, I'm reading a book named, "The New Jim Crow" by Michelle Alexander. She has these stats in her book and I have a friend who has not gone back to prison in over 15 years. I think she beat the odds. So I'm just sincerely asking for a little help with my question, so I can share the great new with her about her accomplishment!

Thank you.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 20, 2015, 03:57 PM
    Bureau of Justice Statistics Reentry Trends in the U.S.: Recidivism

Seems like 2/3 in 15 states after 3 years so your friend has certainly beaten the odds.

Can't you just say you're proud of her without the statistics?

Mar 20, 2015, 06:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Bureau of Justice Statistics Reentry Trends in the U.S.: Recidivism

Seems like 2/3 in 15 states after 3 years so your friend has certainly beaten the odds.

Can't you just say you're proud of her without the statistics?
    Sure I can tell her verbally without the statistics, but I am composing a letter to her and our close family relatives, and would like people to have the stats and my question answered to be part of the letter. I know she and anyone else who reads it would love to see the figures and her outcome. Thanks.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 20, 2015, 07:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MixtecChic15 View Post
    Sure I can tell her verbally without the statistics, but I am composing a letter to her and our close family relatives, and would like people to have the stats and my question answered to be part of the letter. I know she and anyone else who reads it would love to see the figures and her outcome. Thanks.
    Why? She went to prison, she got out, she's been able to change her life. Why do you need stats to prove a point? If I were her I'd see stats as an insult, as a way to state that you only trust the stats, and don't trust her and her accomplishments.

Your letter, if based only on stats, and not heartfelt and showing support of her, would be extremely hurtful imo.

Either this is a homework question and you're trying to hide that fact, or what you posted is a real scenario, and you're cold hearted, only basing your opinion of her success on statistics. Who would want to read that they're only acceptable because statistics say they are? Who would even write a letter like that if they cared about the person going through this?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 20, 2015, 07:52 PM
    If you want to convey a compliment from the heart to one you admire, then use the right words, and not stats.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 21, 2015, 03:52 AM
    Recidivism rates should be stated by gender first. I have a feeling that the rate is much lower for women than men.
    Other than that, I see nothing wrong with your wish to tell this to your friend. We shouldn't assume that the heartfelt expressions aren't included.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Mar 21, 2015, 04:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MixtecChic15 View Post
    It seem to me that this goes deeper than just wishing to give her a compliment. When you include others as recipients of this letter, it sounds more like she is having issues and you want to rub someone's nose in the fact that she is doing better than a certain part of the population.

Before you play the statistics game, keep this in mind: Recidivism Rates are for those who have been caught and gone through the process again. They do not include those who repeat prior bad acts but are not caught.

I hope your friend/relative has been clean since she made her mistake and paid for it. I like stories with happy endings. However, I am wondering what your true motive is in writing not only to her but to others.

If you feel so strongly about her accomplishment, maybe give her a copy of the book with the 'letter'.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Criminal justice paper [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I find articles in the united states about criminal justice

Criminal justice degree [ 1 Answers ]

A few people have told me that a criminal justice degree isn't worth getting, is that true? Like is it worth it to get it

View more questions Search