Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pamelatrepke Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2015, 10:09 PM
    False positives on cocaine swabs
    I have not done cocaine in 7 months but keep getting positives on my mouth swabs. I am a diabetic and have not been taking care of myself and not taking my meds like I should. I got a positive on feb. 8. I just took a hair test to show them I had not taken any drugs. What are the chances the hair test will also be positive even though I do not use anymore?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 20, 2015, 01:36 AM
    Are you still around it? It is in your house? Friends house? Are there things being handled that you may be putting in mouth?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 20, 2015, 06:13 PM
    From what you have written then your diabetes could have triggered a positive for cocaine. Medical conditions and some over the counter meds and prescription drugs will illicit a fail for cocaine, on MANY types of tests.

Amoxicillin
    Ampicillin
    Local anesthetics
    Novocain
    Tonic Water
    Liver Infection or disease
    Kidney Infection or disease
    Diabetes
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 20, 2015, 06:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    From what you have written then your diabetes could have triggered a positive for cocaine. Medical conditions and some over the counter meds and prescription drugs will illicit a fail for cocaine, on MANY types of tests.

Amoxicillin
    Ampicillin
    Local anesthetics
    Novocain
    Tonic Water
    Liver Infection or disease
    Kidney Infection or disease
    Diabetes
    I agree, but the OP stated he/she doesn't take his/her meds. So where's the positive coming from?

Also, any drug tests done, consider the meds you're on. If poster is being tested for cocaine, the testers should be aware of any prescription medication he/she is on.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 20, 2015, 07:24 PM
    It's the diabetic condition Alty, not the meds. Same with the liver, and kidney condition. In addition the labs just do the tests, and report, it's the one ordering the tests that set parameters, and policy. A fail usually goes to a Medical Review Officer, and further more extensive tests investigation can be done.

Depends on the ones ordering the test, and what state federal rules apply.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

False positives in peth testing [ 13 Answers ]

I do random urine drug screens. In a 6 month period I have came back with 3 diluted urines which a peth test was ordered. Now the Peth came back with a 63? I do not get it. My last taste of Alcohol was June 3, 2012. What is wrong. I contributed juicing and hcg to the diluted urines. ...

I have pcos. I tested positive on 4 HPTs. Could they be false positives? [ 2 Answers ]

I have pcos. I took 3 HPTs 3-4 days before my missed period. All positive. And another this morning 2-3 days before my missed period. All tests were different brands and all positive. Could PCOS or ovarian cysts cause false positives?

False positives for thc [ 3 Answers ]

What prescribed meds would cause false positive for thc?

How did I false a swab for cocaine 5 days later passed a hair follicle any ides [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all.. I'm writing in regards too I'm a very confused.. mother who has been torn down from the all hell the system puts you through I'm been dealing with dcs for approx 2 yrs 12 days got my youngest baby back and my two oldest were put up termination.. my concern is 3 days before my case...

View more questions Search