Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bishbeh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2015, 09:26 PM
    Citizenship with SB1visa
    Hi
    I first came to US in 2009 with an immigrant visa but had to leave without my green card and were out of US for more than 2years.
    I finally came back to US with a returning visa (SB1) in 2012, and they gave me a green card which its date shows 2009. Am I eligible to apply for citizenship ?
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Mar 19, 2015, 11:01 PM
    To be naturalized, you need to have "continuous residence" in the U.S. for the last 5 years (or 3 years of "continuous presence" if you were married to a U.S. citizen for the last 3 years). "Continuous residence" is generally broken by an absence of at least 6 months, and definitely broken by an absence of at least 1 year. So you broke your continuous residence when you went away. Under the 4 year + 1 day rule, if you broke continuous residence with an absence of at least 1 year, you can apply for naturalization 4 years + 1 day after coming back from that long trip (or 2 years + 1 day if you qualify under the 3 year rule).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non-Puerto-Rican US citizen gain PR citizenship, be eligible for Spanish citizenship? [ 4 Answers ]

If I understand, a non-Puerto Rican US citizen can live on the island for one year, and be eligible for Puerto Rican citizenship. Spain recognizes Puerto Rican citizenship, and after two years residence, one can be eligible for Spanish (and EU) citizenship. Is this path to Spanish citizenship...

Can I reclaim my German citizenship if I never renounced after dual citizenship? [ 3 Answers ]

I was born in 1974 in Germany to American born military parents. I never renounced my citizenship when it was US/German dual. Can I still apply for German citizenship or somehow reclaim it? I know the laws have varied since the reunification but I want to move Ireland and I believe my ancestry goes...

How do I gain citizenship in europe and renounce my citizenship in America [ 23 Answers ]

I have always wanted to move away from the U.S. but I want to do it permanently without the hassle of work visas and "checking in" every year or so. All the flights are very expensive as well. I was told by an acquaintance that I can even receive money for renouncing my citizenship! How do I go...

Us citizenship [ 5 Answers ]

If I am a french citizen working in the Us with out us citizenship and I marry a us citizen do I become an american citizen?

View more questions Search