Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yos_jos Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2015, 04:48 AM
    How Soon Can I Marry?
    I had an interview for immigrant visa under the category of unmarried sons and daughters of a us citizen. The consular officer approved my visa. I still am unmarried but wish to marry after I got my green card. My question is how soon can I marry after receiving a green card by going back to my home country?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 19, 2015, 06:48 AM
    You can marry at any time. I believe you mean to ask about your spouse, after you marry, also getting an immigrant visa, correct?
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Mar 19, 2015, 11:40 AM
    You can marry any time after becoming a permanent resident (you become a permanent resident the moment you enter the U.S. on your immigrant visa), and it won't have any effect on you.

However, you should not marry before you become a permanent resident because it will cause your category to change from F1 to F3 which has a few years' longer wait and any visa you have already been issued for F1 category will become invalid.

Note that if you marry after becoming a permanent resident, your future spouse won't be able to immigrate as your derivative beneficiary, and you will have to petition them separately as the spouse of a permanent resident, in F2A category, which has a wait of 1-2 years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm a christian girl and want to marry a maharashtrian boy can I marry him [ 0 Answers ]

Can I marry a guy who is elder dn me for 4yrs

Why won't he marry me? He wanted to marry her! [ 9 Answers ]

It's as simple as that - why won't he marry me? He wanted to marry the last girl he was with, but she ended their engagement after they were together for 7 years. He said it was mutual.. . But regardless. Now he's with me, and besides the fact that I think I'm perfectly worthy as an individual, I'm...

6 years and counting, to marry or not to marry [ 7 Answers ]

I've been with my boyfriend for 6 years, is it time to get married?

I want marry in cail he wants to marry in nc? [ 2 Answers ]

The man in going to marry is a Marine and he isn't in the USA right now and I stay in CAIL. When he returns we are to be marry around April 2009. He thinks it will be better if we Marry in NC and I feel its better if we do it in CAIL. I feel this way because my fam and are friend are her, we...

View more questions Search