Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shanna-marie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2015, 05:17 PM
    Can a person work for a hotel and work for the builder of the same hotel
    My boyfriend was hired at a local hotel as maintenance. Subsequently the same day he was also hired by the contracted builder of said hotel. The contractor pays him a straight rate of 75.00 a day... the owner of the hotel pays him nothing.. telling him that its included with what the contractor is paying him. Is this legal... I mean between them both he works 14 hr days therefore averaging his pay out to less than min. Wage
    Shouldn't the hotel owner pay him separate?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 16, 2015, 05:54 PM
    In what country and city?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 17, 2015, 03:12 AM
    If the company that hires him, includes the other work, then it is legal. The issue is, if he is considered a contract worker, or an employee. As to minimum wage standards. Has he talked , not to the hotel company, but the builder and asked if that is really his duties.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 17, 2015, 03:17 AM
    What is the status of the hotel? Is it open for business or is it still being built?

But, if the hotel owner says he is covered under the employment of the builder, then he is not an employee of the hotel. The builder is then responsible for making sure his wages cover minimum wage laws.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 17, 2015, 03:51 AM
    If he is in the US, then he is averaging $5.35 an hour, and not being paid overtime. Some workers depending on location are exempt from overtime, including contract workers.

Are you in the US? If so, what state?

It's very possible your boyfriend was hired by the hotel, but retained by a contractor by which he gets paid a day rate. The state I live in, Texas, a right to work state, does this a lot. No union, no contracts, just day labor, in many industries.

I wonder if you have the whole story.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Asking hotel permission to send our therapits to provide service in the hotel room [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Sir, I want to introduce our spa business to a hotel group and would like to put our brochure there. Further I want to send my staff to that hotel to provide room service, if the hotel clients needs the massage. how can I ask permission to the hotel management and to whom I have to write. I...

I did some work for a hotel and was paid $5500. How much can I deduct from the 1099? [ 3 Answers ]

I did some work for a hotel and was paid $5500. I will receive a 1099MIS form and I was wondering how much it was going to be for and how much I can deduct. I know what I can deduct but don't know how much I can.

View more questions Search