Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0

Mar 14, 2015, 07:27 PM
    Getting a tenant out of an illegal apt.
    I was asked to post this. Someone has a home and finished getting money for
    Reverse mortguage. He's in his 80's and needed money for his bills so he rented
    Out the downstairs. Now someone wants to buy the house and allow this
    Friend to live out his days there for free.

The problem is, the one in the illegal apt won't leave. Is it a hopeless
    Situation? The woman won't try to buy the house unless this tenant is gone.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 14, 2015, 07:36 PM
    The tenant will have to be legally evicted according to your local laws.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 14, 2015, 08:07 PM
    As J-9 said,m the tenant will have to be legally evicted. This generally means giving a 30 day written notice to vacate. If the tenant does not leave by the deadline, then the landlord needs to go to court for an eviction order.

The danger in doing this with an illegal apartment is that the local government may impose fines and penalties on the landlord for renting an illegal apartment. This can go so far as to requiring the return of all rents.

I would highly recommend consulting a local real estate attorney to gauge what the damage may be. It might be cheaper to pay the tenant to leave.

Mar 14, 2015, 08:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    As J-9 said,m the tenant will have to be legally evicted. This generally means giving a 30 day written notice to vacate. If the tenant does not leave by the deadline, then the landlord needs to go to court for an eviction order.

The danger in doing this with an illegal apartment is that the local government may impose fines and penalties on the landlord for renting an illegal apartment. This can go so far as to requiring the return of all rents.

I would highly recommend consulting a local real estate attorney to gauge what the damage may be. It might be cheaper to pay the tenant to leave.
    Thank you for getting back to me. The problem is, he doesn't pay rent. He
    Did work around the house and keeps up stuff because he's a handyman.
    But he has not paid rent in years. The homeowner cannot afford lawyers
    Or the fines should he be caught. Wish I could find out if the tenant is here
    In this country legally. I may just ask that question on this board.

Mar 14, 2015, 08:23 PM
    Finding out if someone is here legally
    Is there a way to find out if someone is here legally from Jamaica?

He is a tenant that doesn't pay rent and refuses to leave. He can't be
    Evicted because his apt is illegal. He had a rent free apt that he built
    Himself within the house down in the basement. He hasn't paid
    Rent in ages. The homeowner wants to sell the house but the
    Potential buyer won't buy until he's out.
    Expert

Mar 14, 2015, 08:52 PM
    It doesn't matter that he doesn't pay rent. This is his legal residence. He will still have to be evicted according to your local laws.
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Mar 14, 2015, 09:38 PM
    This question is irrelevant. Housing and eviction are governed under state law, and the rights of tenants and landlords and all that are exactly the same regardless of anyone's immigration status, which is a federal thing.

Plus, there is no exact term "legally here" in immigration law. There are lots of related but slightly different terms, each meaning something different, and none of them meaning exactly what you think it means. What ultimately matters is whether someone will get deported or not, and that is something that depends on lots of factors, which are between the person and the government, and are none of your business, and which you have no right to find out.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 15, 2015, 05:43 AM
    OF course he can be evicted, but the issue of a illegal apartment and fines for that may happen.

No, there is no way, to prove he is here on a valid visa or even a citizen of US at this point, unless he is willing to provide you the documents.

It is time, to hire an attorney and deal with the eviction though the court.

Mar 15, 2015, 05:52 AM
    J_9 is correct. Whether he pays rent or not is immaterial, he is a tenant and needs to be formerly evicted. However, if there was a agreement to pay rent and he hasn't, then the notice can be a PAY or Quit which gives him a shorter time to pay in full or vacate.

I merged the two threads. As noted it is immaterial whether he is an illegal or not. If you suspect he is, than report it to ICE and they will check.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 15, 2015, 06:00 AM
    The good news is that even though he is a tenant according to eviction laws, he isn't there illegally, I think, because he doesn't pay rent. He's just a live-in caretaker, like a nanny or maid.
    So just go ahead and evict.
    It might be a good idea to have someone else live there while all this is going on, in case he decides to get destructive.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 15, 2015, 06:39 AM
    ... He can't be Evicted because his apt is illegal. He had a rent free apt that he built Himself within the house down in the basement. ...
    I don't know that the owner would be liable to pay fines under these circumstances. It appears that the tenant, not the owner, is responsible for this "illegal apartment".

Mar 15, 2015, 07:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    I don't know that the owner would be liable to pay fines under these circumstances. It appears that the tenant, not the owner, is responsible for this "illegal apartment".
    Wow that's a very different opinion then what I've been getting... which is that it's the owner's responsibility. I will discuss this also with him. Thank you for your
    Your response.

Mar 15, 2015, 07:54 AM
    Fines and penalties are a worst case scenario. But AK has a point. Its not clear, but you are saying this tenant built the apt himself? So he was invited to live there as a caretaker and then set up the basement apt? If that is the case, I doubt if the homeowner would be help responsible.

Mar 15, 2015, 07:59 AM
    Fines and penalties are a worst case scenario. But AK has a point. Its not clear, but you are saying this tenant built the apt himself? So he was invited to live there as a caretaker and then set up the basement apt? If that is the case, I doubt if the homeowner would be help responsible.
    Yes, he built it himself. And he never paid rent but he doesn't do anything
    Anymore except a little shoveling and he's living free.
    The woman who wants to buy the house won't if he is still there.

Mar 15, 2015, 08:58 AM
    Then give him one calendar month's (assuming this is NY) written notice to vacate. So he would have to be given notice to vacate by April 30 (at the earliest). If he is not out by then on May 1 the homeowner (or their rep) needs to file for an eviction order in local housing court.

Then file the process from there.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 15, 2015, 09:10 AM
    It doesn't matter what he has done, if she serve lawful eviction, he's gone. If she wants to sell she evicts him.

Mar 15, 2015, 10:59 AM
    Then give him one calendar month's (assuming this is NY) written notice to vacate. So he would have to be given notice to vacate by April 30 (at the earliest). If he is not out by then on May 1 the homeowner (or their rep) needs to file for an eviction order in local housing court.

Then file the process from there.
    Sounds great but it's an illegal apt and the govt will get after him for back
    Rent which he never got... but still the apt is illegal. He is as poor as as
    Dormouse and can't afford any trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    It doesn't matter what he has done, if she serve lawful eviction, he's gone. If she wants to sell she evicts him.
    Not that easy... we're dealing with an illegal apt.

Mar 15, 2015, 11:11 AM
    Jammy, that's not necessary true. He treats him as a roommate. While he doesn't need a reason he just tells the court that he has a buyer for the house and he needs to leave before the buyer will close. It is a possibility that the government will come after him, but unlikely. If he hasn't been receiving rent then they won't go after him for it. But that's his ONLY choice. Either he gets him out or he says goodbye to the sale and puts up with this guy for the rest of his life.

An illegal apt, is a totally separate apartment, separate entrance, full bathroom and kitchen. It also one that he is renting at market rates. That's not the case here. So again I doubt if the government would come down on him.
    Expert

Mar 15, 2015, 11:16 AM
    Jammy, you are thinking too hard and making this harder than it really is. Cut the drama. Simply put, your friend serves an eviction notice, then follows through. It's really as simple as that. Your friend isn't trying to get codes enforced for the so-called apartment, he is only filing for an eviction.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 15, 2015, 03:23 PM
    'the govt will get after him for back
    Rent which he never got'

Wow, you give the gov't too much credit. They (IRS) won't even KNOW what goes on in your local eviction court.

I don't know who is using scare tactics on you, but ignore them, and EVICT!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What happens if a tenant who has been in an apt. for 3 months claims he has bed bugs. [ 3 Answers ]

Who is should pay when a tenant who has been in his apartment for three months claims he has bedbugs. Meanwhile all the other apartments where check and there is no sign of bedbugs. The problem lies only in the one apartment. Know the who building needs to be treated. The tenants that lived in the...

Can I tell my tenant not to smoke in the apt if it is not in the lease? [ 3 Answers ]

When I rented to apt I did not know that my tenant smoked. There is nothing in the lease pertaining to smoking other than if the landlord deems things for safety purposes. What are my rights to tell him not to smoke?

Current tenant apt being forclosed. Help please [ 4 Answers ]

I have read other scenarios similar 2 mine and tha answers. (he only difference with my problem is its and effect now. I received a letter and tha mail addressed to the heirs and legatees of my lanlord. I assumed that would be me so I opened it and it read Notice of Sale. Said there will be an...

Illegal apt squatter [ 4 Answers ]

I have an illegal apt rented and the tenant did not pay April rent. She has said she can't afford it. Can I shut down the electric and cable which I currently pay? This is in Long Island, NY Thank you

Landlord makes illegal apt. Below me [ 2 Answers ]

I am living in NY. My landlord has made an illegal apt. below me in the boiler room area. He has built a kitchen with stove, bathroom with tub and a sleeping area. He now has his son living there. He is making a lot of noise and I am afraid because he is a smoker and he is right by the boiler. Can...

View more questions Search