Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mscwb Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2015, 05:37 AM
    Different due dates
    My due dates keep changing and its really aggravating me. Because I cant remember the specific date of my last period in November I cant figure out my conception date. Will an ultrasound help me as I grow further along. Please help
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 13, 2015, 05:41 AM
    Conception dates are just estimates, and can vary or be wrong by one or two weeks.
    The due dates as you get further along can be closer.

How much are they changing, if merely a week or two, that is really not an issue
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 13, 2015, 05:42 AM
    An ultrsound won't really help in zeroing in on the due date. Just remember that the so-called "due date" is only an estimate, and the actual date of birth can vary quite a bit from it. If you're a bit uncertain about the date it really doesn't matter. So go with your best guess.

Mar 13, 2015, 05:43 AM
    Ive been given due dates of 8/25 8/28/ 8/31 And 9/3
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 13, 2015, 06:10 AM
    As noted calculating due dates is an inexact science. The further along you get the better they can pinpoint. Generally the start with the date of your last period and if you can't pinpoint that, you hamper the calculation.

Why is it important to figure when you conceived? It it is a matter of establishing paternity, you will not be able to be sure. If you had multiple partners since your last period, any could be the father. You will need to have a DNA test done after the child is born to be sure.

Mar 13, 2015, 06:14 AM
    Never it is an Issue of multiple partners. It makes NO SENSE FOR me to have been given 4 different due dates! Things that don't make sense WARRANT inquiry from me
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 13, 2015, 06:20 AM
    But yes it DOES make sense. Due dates are a guesstimate. Since you were unable to provide them with accurate data to help them calculate, they had to guess and have revised their guesses as they got more data.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 13, 2015, 06:38 AM
    End of August and the beginning of September is their best guess for about a 4(?) month pregnancy, and many things can make it sooner, or later.

Relax, more will be revealed as you get further along. Every pregnancy can be unique.

Is this your first child?

Mar 13, 2015, 06:41 AM
    YES. This is my first.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 13, 2015, 07:07 AM
    Then you are learning for the first time about the birth process and all the unknowns that go with it. Yes ask questions, but don't expect exact perfection in the answers you get, as there is no such things with this process.

A range of what amounts to a week, at this stage of the process, is as good as it gets, and as the process moves along the answers will be more certain.

LOL, babies tend to arrive when they are ready, and don't care much about mom's calendar, or hormone driven feelings, inexperienced or NOT.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 13, 2015, 08:55 AM
    Dating gestation is not an exact science and the LMP is what is used to calculate a due date. Due dates can, and do, tend to fluctuate plus or minus a couple of weeks during pregnancy. Since you don't remember your LMP, the doctor will date you according to ultrasound or fundal height.

Your date ate changes aren't significant, so there is nothing to worry about.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2015, 01:53 PM
    Your best dating will come from an early ultrasound as this is the time when babies follow a more distinctive pattern of growth. They may follow this up with another ultrasound later that may also be used to confirm dates. Late in pregnancy, growth rates can vary, and ultrasounds become even less reliable for dating purposes.

As was said, having dates roughly around the same time is perfectly normal. I'd much rather have someone be told that they are due around the end of August/early September than an exact date. The reason for this is that few babies are actually born on a due date... there is a window of time at the end of pregnancy that is perfectly normal to give birth in. Not every women will have the same gestation.

Focusing too much on a due date, often results in unnecessary stress for parents... especially when that due date comes and goes... which, again, is perfectly normal and often happens.

Were these dates given as results from ultrasounds? If so, is there a particular reason for having had several so far? Were they done by the same doctor, midwife, or technician?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 13, 2015, 04:33 PM
    I knew my LMP (last menstrual period) with both of my children, and I was extremely regular with my periods. Even then my due date changed three times with different appointments and tests.

My son ended up being 4 days past his due date, my daughter was born on her due date, which is very rare! Very very rare! Around 10 percent of babies are born on their actual due date. The rest (if it's not a premature birth) are born within 2 weeks before, or two weeks after their due date.

Your due dates are very close together, and none of them will actually tell you when this baby is actually coming. It's all a best guess, and even when they have your LMP and you're very regular, that doesn't mean your baby will be born on the date you were given. Most babies aren't.

Good luck. :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 14, 2015, 06:21 AM
    As a father of 5 children, not a single one, came within a week of the due date. So at best, they are guesses, and I think on my last son, they changed each time she went to the doctor by a little.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Mar 16, 2015, 08:40 AM
    I just want to add that giving you an estimate within one week (Aug 25 - Sep 3) is perfectly normal. I often heard the same thing and I knew exactly what my LMP and ovulation dates were. All of the ultrasound measurements, dates, etc. are all a best guess. There is no perfect way of measuring, so if you want a date to go by, pick one in the middle and that's what you can tell people. Most of us who've already been parents take a due date with a grain of salt anyway. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Different lmp and ultrasound due dates. [ 1 Answers ]

I had my first intervaginal ultrasound today 8/18/2014 and it says am only 5weeks 3days along but according to my lmp wich was 6/15/2014 and a positive pregnancy test on 7/17/2014, I should be 9weeks 1day along. I don't get how that's possible and confused. Any input will be greatly appreciated. ...

I have different due dates in 2 sonograms [ 10 Answers ]

I had irregular periods and couldn't base my due date on that, then my first ultrasound was in January 31 and in the sonogram it showed I was 18 weeks 3 days, the second ultrasound was in March 4 and show I was 20 weeks exactly, now I am confuse and don't know when I'm supposed to be due,I'm worry...

Due dates [ 1 Answers ]

If I had an u/s at Dec18 5w4d with a due date of August 20 then one on Jan 8 8w4d due date of Aug 20 then on March 4 was told I was 16w2-3d wit a new due date of Aug 16. When did I conceive and which is more accurate? I had sex with my ex early in Nov and he did inside me. Then On Nov 17 I was...

Pregnancy due dates [ 2 Answers ]

So my last perod was October 9 and I went to the doctors to confirm my pregnancy and let me know how many weeks I am, and they tell me my due date is August 17 and that I'm 29 weeks pregnant. If I really am due on August I would be pregnant for 10 months. I also go to different websites to check...

Do doctors make mistakes about conception dates and due dates? [ 3 Answers ]

I don't understand, can doctors be wrong about conception dates and due dates?

View more questions Search