Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sharonr202 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2015, 10:29 AM
    I just started online dating what do you think of my profile
    Basically I love life and love living life. I enjoy the outdoors, traveling, restaurants, laughing, going to different events, and socializing with quality people.. It's just better living and sharing life with someone else. If you'd like to know more say hi. We can chat, talk, engage in conversation to get to know each other.. I also want to write I'm funny sweet, ambitious, thoughtful, a good sense of humor.. II wanted to write this in my online profile what do you think thanks
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 12, 2015, 10:41 AM
    It sounds like so many other bios. Isn't there anything unique and really interesting to write about yourself?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 12, 2015, 10:50 AM
    I find it very generic.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 12, 2015, 12:44 PM
    Are you from Ghana?

Mar 12, 2015, 01:05 PM
    Lol OK your right I guess will add a little more spice to it
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 12, 2015, 01:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sharonr202 View Post
    Lol OK your right I guess will add a little more spice to it
    Noooooooo! Not spice as in being sexy. Be mysterious or intriguing.

Maybe start out with a quote like, "A jug of wine, a loaf of bread, and thou beside me."
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2015, 01:51 PM
    Well, I would narrow you down to a couple thousand people based on your profile. What makes you special?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 12, 2015, 02:31 PM
    It's mundane and you repeat yourself (chat, talk, engage in conversation are all the same).
    You love the outdoors - so you'd climb Mt. Everest? Bungee jump? Or just a stroll in the park, or in between?
    You like restaurants - expensive, because he pays, or cheaper because you like to pay your own way?
    Same with travel - 2 weeks in Paris, because you can afford it? Or 2 weeks camping because you 'love the outdoors?'
    If you can't, leave it out. Men run at the slightest whiff of expensive expectations. Unless you are an excellent cook and love it.
    The 'quality people' would put me off.

Kids? (That can be the first level of decision for many.)

You need to express what is personal and important to YOU. It's even OK to state what your goals are, say in 10 years. When I'm shopping online, if an item isn't described completely, I move on.

The best way to do this is to set the parameters of the first meetings. "I'd love to chat for a while before going out for a daytime coffee, and a stroll" indicates that you don't hop into bed with every guy who responds. And it's safer.
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Mar 12, 2015, 03:12 PM
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to talaniman again

Just wanted to say, your question made me laugh out loud...

Mar 14, 2015, 11:16 PM
    I'm looking to write 3 or 4 sentence something if anyone has some suggestions would appreciate it. About me I'm fun outgoing easy going love to laugh and be serious at the same time looking for someone with the same qualities just trying to put it in 3 or 4 sentences that would sound good. Anyone have any suggestions or have 3 or 4 sentences that you think would be a good one without putting anyone of that in thanks
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 15, 2015, 05:46 AM
    If you can't digest what we wrote, and write those sentences yourself, then you are right back at the beginning. Generic, mundane, boring. We don't KNOW you. Men who read your profile don't either. I thought my sentence about going out for a daytime coffee set a good tone for a normal, nice, pleasant woman.

There are a lot of jokes about profiles that all are variations on 'love candlelight dinners and walks on the beach.' Nothing you say about yourself makes you stand out. People are reading DOZENS if not HUNDREDS of profiles, and it is exhausting to read the same old stuff. So don't write anything if you can't be inventive!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 16, 2015, 04:24 AM
    When you come right down to writing a blurb about yourself on an online dating site, there is no two ways about it, it all sounds like everybody else. What sells the idea of YOU is your picture, if allowed, a brief description of your General appearance (in your profile) and what you like to do mostly, very briefly. When an interested party contacts you, then you can explain in more detail.

Mar 17, 2015, 07:46 AM
    Thank you everyone for your help. Will take your advice thanks again..
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Mar 17, 2015, 08:08 AM
    Something to think about, it is as much how you say it as what you say. Look at how you respond when reading other people's bios. What catches your eye? What encourages you to want to contact them? Is it a list of likes and dislikes or how they describe what they like?

Your personality can come out in how you describe yourself and what you like.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girl I just started dating started talking to her ex? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, So, I guess this is a sad story for me. I just met this girl and we clicked immediately, talked for 5 hours the first time we met. Then went on three dates over the course of three weeks, each one lasted a couple of hours and went smoothly and were some of the best dates I ever had, she...

Want to try online dating, but What to do if None of dating sites have enough locals? [ 4 Answers ]

I never had a GF. I want to try online dating but the sites I've seen only have like 5 women from my city and not my type. That's dumb. Why would I sign up to sites that have no one from my city.

We slept together but he has a profile on several dating sites ! [ 12 Answers ]

Met a guy last October, we went on 5-6 dates and mutually agreed to take it a step further and slept together. We broke up after a couple more weeks (he got back with his ex). We then got back together about 6 weeks ago (yes I agreed to take him back). The other night I was round his place when I...

View more questions Search