Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Mar 12, 2015, 10:02 AM
    Another IRA Question
    Was going to pull up my IRA Question from Oct 2014 but decided to make a new question.

I know the rules for IRA are different.

In my IRA account, I have some stocks with Gains and some with a loss. If I sell a loser and one with a gain can I offset the cap. Gains ?

PS I also say that the set up for asking a question is messed up and needs for the
    Owner of this site to check in to it.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 12, 2015, 10:37 AM
    The thing about IRAs is that there really is no capital gains to worry about. When you make a withdrawal you are taxed on the market value of the withdrawal, less any after-tax contribution(s) that may have funded the account. So there is no accounting of stock gains or losses at all.

Mar 12, 2015, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    The thing about IRAs is that there really is no capital gains to worry about. When you make a withdrawal you are taxed on the market value of the withdrawal, less any after-tax contribution(s) that may have funded the account. So there is no accounting of stock gains or losses at all.
    Thanks EB, I was thinking along those lines but wanted to be sure. Sure would be extra nice if there was a way to recover losses in an IRA.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 12, 2015, 12:33 PM
    Agreed. It's one of the reasons why in general the types of investments that you put into an IRA should be those generate income (like corporate bonds and dividend stocks), and leave the non-dividend payimg growth stocks in a taxable account.

Mar 12, 2015, 12:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Agreed. It's one of the reasons why in general the types of investments that you put into an IRA should be those generate income (like corporate bonds and dividend stocks), and leave the non-dividend payimg growth stocks in a taxable account.
    I am a dividend lover for sure, but sometimes you get caught buying a bad one and there is also the time when a company goes private on you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roll over 401k and Roth IRA question [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all... newbie here. I have a quick question. If I roll over approximately $12,000 into a traditional IRA in 2012, am I still allowed to contribute $5000 to a Roth IRA in 2012? FYI... I am 36 year old single male and will make below the Roth IRA income limit. Thanks

IRA question [ 1 Answers ]

Can I contribute to my ROTH IRA when my only income is my military retirement stipend?

Question on Roth Ira [ 4 Answers ]

Does the modified AGI impact the amount that can be deducted when applying it to a ROTH IRA?

Roth ira question [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. Can anyone tell me about penalties and taxes due on a withdrawl from a ROTH IRA at age 58? Account has been open since 1998 when it was rolled over from a 401k and taxes paid on the rollover. Is it just earnings that are taxable? Must you be 59 1/2 to avoid a penalty? Can't seem to get a...

Roth IRA Question [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know whether I can continue to contribute to a Roth IRA while I am collecting unemployment benefits? Hopefully it won't be for long. Am still paying taxes on unemployment benefit check.

View more questions Search